ebay issue. what would you do?

ellillowladex":3ffeqyi6 said:
This is quite simple - you open the dispute: as item not received, state that the seller has relisted the item and request a refund. Then eBay / PayPal apply a hold to the sellers PayPal account for the original transaction amount. The buyer gets his time to respond and if he hasn't refunded you by the deadline - eBay / PayPal refund you automatically (whether the seller has the funds to cover the amount or not) and recover the money from the sellers payment sources needed to hold a seller account.

As mentioned before the seller will always have to pay regardless of who is at fault! They can then take up their own case with eBay and file a complaint if they feel the buyer is at fault, though naturally you can only do this once the original dispute has been settled. Buyer always win regardless!

^ What he said. I can't believe there is even a debate over this! I would like to see the nature of the replies if the OP had asked whether it was right of him to hold on to a buyer's money after a sale had fallen through on eBay.

Dispute, dispute, dispute...! ;)

Neil":3r8lhqsl said:
suburbanreuben":3r8lhqsl said:
All this outrage and huffing and puffing is all very well, but has anyone actually opened an Ebay dispute recently? They ain't what they were! The fact is that Ebay will not actually have someone sit down and look at your case until 15 days from the auction end have elapsed. Until then you are reliant on the seller seeing sense.
It is also possible for the seller to mark a "refund issued" without actually doing so, but as far as Ebay are concerned the matter is closed. Then you have to start again with Paypal...
Think 3 or 4 weeks to get your money back this way.
Less haste- more speed!

I've opened a couple of disputes in the past 6 months. And in both cases, I didn't have to wait the 15 days for it to be solved.

In one of the cases (perhaps both...) I probably didn't intend actually opening up a dispute, off the bat - but the various reasons you can instigate contact kinda force you down a different route.

In my experience, it focuses the mind of the person you're dealing with. As a low volume seller, he / she may not bother whether you'd buy from them again - but also, as a low-volume seller, most would be savvy enough to realise that bad feedback can take a while to recover from - especially if they don't have a lot of feedback at present.
Was that because the seller agreed a refund though?

suburbanreuben":3ebw32xs said:
Neil":3ebw32xs said:
suburbanreuben":3ebw32xs said:
All this outrage and huffing and puffing is all very well, but has anyone actually opened an Ebay dispute recently? They ain't what they were! The fact is that Ebay will not actually have someone sit down and look at your case until 15 days from the auction end have elapsed. Until then you are reliant on the seller seeing sense.
It is also possible for the seller to mark a "refund issued" without actually doing so, but as far as Ebay are concerned the matter is closed. Then you have to start again with Paypal...
Think 3 or 4 weeks to get your money back this way.
Less haste- more speed!

I've opened a couple of disputes in the past 6 months. And in both cases, I didn't have to wait the 15 days for it to be solved.

In one of the cases (perhaps both...) I probably didn't intend actually opening up a dispute, off the bat - but the various reasons you can instigate contact kinda force you down a different route.

In my experience, it focuses the mind of the person you're dealing with. As a low volume seller, he / she may not bother whether you'd buy from them again - but also, as a low-volume seller, most would be savvy enough to realise that bad feedback can take a while to recover from - especially if they don't have a lot of feedback at present.
Was that because the seller agreed a refund though?

Do you mean before the dispute?

I think it may have been my first contact in one case - as I said, I hadn't necessarily intended it to be - I think it's where the contact seller option took me to. Truth be told can't remember the exact details of what each one was, just that it ended up being opened in the resolution centre (or whatever it's called this week) as a case, and within a couple of days, my refund was there.

Thing is, he could be patient, friendly, try and see things from the sellers point of view - and still get messed around, and still have to open a case. He does it sooner, and he's pretty much guaranteeed a refund at a certain point.

Bottom line - either the money or the bike doesn't belong to the seller. If I saw it listed again, before a refund, I wouldn't hesitate for a beat - I'd open up that case in a New York minute.

fjpshaw":vmr6xbxy said:
ellillowladex":vmr6xbxy said:
This is quite simple - you open the dispute: as item not received, state that the seller has relisted the item and request a refund. Then eBay / PayPal apply a hold to the sellers PayPal account for the original transaction amount. The buyer gets his time to respond and if he hasn't refunded you by the deadline - eBay / PayPal refund you automatically (whether the seller has the funds to cover the amount or not) and recover the money from the sellers payment sources needed to hold a seller account.

As mentioned before the seller will always have to pay regardless of who is at fault! They can then take up their own case with eBay and file a complaint if they feel the buyer is at fault, though naturally you can only do this once the original dispute has been settled. Buyer always win regardless!

^ What he said. I can't believe there is even a debate over this! I would like to see the nature of the replies if the OP had asked whether it was right of him to hold on to a buyer's money after a sale had fallen through on eBay.

You don't get it, do you?
No-one is disputing the OP's right to get his money back as soon as possible. What he wants to know is if it is wise to open a dispute now.
In my opinion, no, it isn't, as tempting as it is.

suburbanreuben":2fjihfsa said:
fjpshaw":2fjihfsa said:
ellillowladex":2fjihfsa said:

No-one is disputing the OP's right to get his money back as soon as possible. What he wants to know is if it is wise to open a dispute now.

Haha! With respect, I think I'm one of the ones that does get it. Since I'm not the one suggesting he tiptoes about, asking questions, waiting for answers and false promises, and waiting for the seller to decide when the right time is to refund the OP's or not. :facepalm:

Dispute right now with Paypal not Ebay. Give the seller some really choice feedback straight away too and let us all know who they are.

I F@@@%%*& hate crappy Ebay sellers with a vengeance.

suburbanreuben":1mortknq said:
fjpshaw":1mortknq said:
ellillowladex":1mortknq said:

I get it completely, I cannot see what hoping a whim of a seller who has already failed on promises to package, when already marked as dispatched, who hasn't Refunded when stated he would, has relisted said items for sale.
Do I hope a few days extra suddenly makes it easier to click some screen buttons or do I formalise things through the resolution centre. It doesn't black mark you or the seller, so why not use it.

The seller is still just as able to refund in the resolution as outside of it. I just defines and in this case guarantee s a maximum time.

FluffyChicken":37p0g73k said:
I get it completely, I cannot see what hoping a whim of a seller who has already failed on promises to package, when already marked as dispatched, who hasn't Refunded when stated he would, has relisted said items for sale.
Do I hope a few days extra suddenly makes it easier to click some screen buttons or do I formalise things through the resolution centre. It doesn't black mark you or the seller, so why not use it.

The seller is still just as able to refund in the resolution as outside of it. I just defines and in this case guarantee s a maximum time.
Agreed - and the bit in bold is the point. The seller may still mess about - and be even more inclined to because of a dispute case. But doing so creates a maximum timeframe - so do that early doors.

Otherwise, you wait and hope the seller is decent for a bit, and that they suddenly decide to not mess you around any more - which may happen. On the other hand, they may keep stringing you along a bit so that when you've finally had enough and decide to open a dispute, you've got to wait that bit longer.

I think it may have been my first contact in one case - as I said, I hadn't necessarily intended it to be - I think it's where the contact seller option took me to. Truth be told can't remember the exact details of what each one was, just that it ended up being opened in the resolution centre (or whatever it's called this week) as a case, and within a couple of days, my refund was there.

Thing is, he could be patient, friendly, try and see things from the sellers point of view - and still get messed around, and still have to open a case. He does it sooner, and he's pretty much guaranteeed a refund at a certain point.

Bottom line - either the money or the bike doesn't belong to the seller. If I saw it listed again, before a refund, I wouldn't hesitate for a beat - I'd open up that case in a New York minute.[/quote]

The thing is though, if he opens a dispute today he may have to wait 10 days max. He opens it in two days time; he has to wait 8 days max for a refund. In a week, three days... There is no rush to start waving big sticks at people.

suburbanreuben":2crej99a said:
The thing is though, if he opens a dispute today he may have to wait 10 days max. He opens it in two days time; he has to wait 8 days max for a refund. In a week, three days... There is no rush to start waving big sticks at people.

You could wait and open a case in 4 weeks time - and still have to wait 'X' days for buyer to respond / refund...or failing that, eBay will decide in buyers favour anyway.

You don't open a case in 14 days and get a refund the next!

Back