Early Grip Shift

Re:

Ah, if they are not on the bike then you won't feel the clicks, they work on the tension from the mech to create the clicks

I took the shifters apart, and found out that there are 8 positions, so apparantly they are 8 speed. Anyone who knows what this means in terms of compatibility? Or how many versions of these 8 speed shifters were made?

here's a picture. How does the tension work on these shifters?

14332637731_127794b7d4_z.jpg

i know shimanos Dura ace had different spacing to all other shimano road groups , not sure if the same applies to XTR ? 8 speed was the end of that folly

Re:

3f94ae86f6d3a01aa78c7411dbde1ffd_zps99ec2715.jpg

90ff8cdb30dadf2ce43a8ca71631b3dc_zps34d68706.jpg

7bae99b5cc0450298ac262f5d5ed48c3_zps0f3bd4d0.jpg

The tension comes purely from the derailleurs themselves so it is best to use ones with heavy springs like early shimano. Not sure it they would work with shimano rapid rise or sachs reverse derailleur.

Just one more thing. Have you checked that the bar clamps are 22.2 and not 23.8mm? They came with two sets, one for ATB and one for road bars.

Re:

The code/model should be stamped on them. Either on the end around the metal collar iirc or some place inside. Depends if they are CX/DT or Pro just can't remember whichone is where. I posted it somewhere?

Re:

Inside and along the channel the metal cam nobble indexer runs along on the other cylinder for the Pro version (foam gripped as in advert)

CX-DT will be when you pull them apart on the outer cylinder inside-end.

thanks for the info pete! that helps a lot, as I now know they are for road handlebars indeed...

still can't find any numbers or writing on these shifters though, so no idea if they work with dura ace or other 8 speed.

might be cool shifters for a drop bar setup :D

Back