Early 1990's Bontrager Dirt Drop - Syncros - Salsa - Chris King - GoreTex

Radrider

Devout Dirtbag
This is my Dirt Drop project. There is just something about the old Salsa Ala carte Jelly bean dirt drop builds that I find so cool and fun. I wanted to emulate that here with a different style but similar build. I think the military green really gets thrown off by flashy parts with decals everywhere, so I removed all the stickers and kept it black as I could to keep this thing stealth and simple.
I toyed with the idea of doing the xtr pods on dkg or wtb mounts, but decided this would be a cleaner and better functioning system...Or at least that's what I'm telling myself to avoid forking up the time and or funds to get a set of those mounts.
It's not *finished*, but I'm happy enough to get it riding before the Canadian winter hits.
Frame: Bontrager Race (1991?)
Fork: Bontrager Composite
Headset: XT -*looking for a black CK or American classic*
Stem: Salsa P10
Bar: WTB
Levers: Shimano 600
Brakes: Tech Lite *looking for black techlite or grafton*
Cranks: Syncros revolution / profile racing rings
Pedals: Sim Works *looking for grafton*
Rear mech: M900
Shifter: -
Cassette: m900
Hubs: Bontrager Chris King *bullseye once I find the rims*
Rims: Bontrager Race Lite *looking for ceramic 231 or 261*
Tires: Sim works Yummy
Skewers: Salsa no logo
Saddle: Turbo
Seatpost: Syncros
IMG_2601.png
IMG_2640.JPG
GIside.JPG GIfrontend.JPG GIfrontbrake.JPG GIfronthub.JPG GIcranks.JPG GIcables.JPG GIxtr.JPG GIrearhub.JPG

Last edited:
Absolutely love this!!!

Looks just about perfect.

Keeping it stealth without decals?
Keeping this one stealth :cool:
I've been thinking of painting logos on the frame in the color/style of ammo boxes, and black on black decals for the syncros/salsa bits.

Keeping this one stealth :cool:
I've been thinking of painting logos on the frame in the color/style of ammo boxes, and black on black decals for the syncros/salsa bits.

Glad to hear it. Have recently decided on a stealth build for an upcoming project too.

Well, for now, anyway!

Back