Early 1900's racer with gearbox in bottom bracket

Re:

I should really do some reading about bikes of this era because I find them fascinating, but from the little I have seen I think pretty much everything that's hailed as this year's latest and greatest invention was tried in some form by about 1900 :D

Re:

Thanks again, well I have learned something new today and I agree, it would make an interesting discussion in itself. :D

Re:

Gear box may be a mis translation. The eccentric bottom bracket allows adjustment of the chain when a different size cog is used. Similar to standard tandem front bottom bracket for adjusting the front chain.

Bike looks genuine enough, guessing late 1890s.
Keith

The bottom bracket needs the cotters to clamp it.
It has a roller chain, just about in the time frame, but a racer would probably have used a block chain. Without real close up views, it could have been built using British components,
Keith

So would a French bike of this age with this type of bottom bracket be special historically? It has a head badge as shown below. Could it be an early velodrome or Tour de France bike? The guy wants alot of money for this bike so I need to be sure. Thanks

Attachments

• $_3 (12).JPG
    $_3 (12).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 206
Im not sure this is the forum to find out about something this age. Im sure there are more road specific forums out there here youd get more luck :?
The 'gearbox' as you initially thought, did the seller suggest this himself ?,and if so obviously wouldnt have come across an eccentric BB .
:?
Kind of makes you think that hes milking it in the hope youll pay over the odds.
Again, id look toward old roadie forums. Might have to join a French one but google translator is helpful and most people will understand the broken French especially if you have pictures.

Carefully take note of the words on the frame and headbadge and google those in turn or together :? Might get a lucky hit

Personally,id buy it as i love obscure bikes that nip your head till you find out what it is and where it was made, and for what reason

I ride a polished Ti. All i know about it is it was shown on a stand at interbike in Poland, and eventually after much searching and sending off Russian emails(like UK emails but a foreign language ;) )
I still dont know for sure who made it but ive now been pointed in the direction of a very early example of Triton bikes.
Mirror polished Titanium similar to 6/4 Disc only for £100. Most would say who the F**K cares who made it, £100 is a steal :shock: and it is ;) Not stolen :LOL:

Keep at it and youll find the answers :cool:

Re:

Thanks dyna-ti for the info. I notice that these early 1900's French racers can be picked up for anything between £100 and £1000 and but this particular bike appears to be possibly pre- 1900 with an interesting spec for its time. Fella wants £1250!!! for it plus £200 postage to UK. Seems very steep hence my investigating. Interesting bikes tho. Thanks again.

Re:

This looks similar: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1930s ... em35d43a64

3.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back