Dyna-tec frame failure caught on camera

Thanks for sharing that video. I love this chap's manner and enthusiasm.
I've known a few people have dynatech frame failures without any baking etc, so i think it is probably an age/QC issue.
The only frame i ever had fail horrendously was a terrible old lugged raleigh where the head tube parted company with the rest of the frame when i was riding. Not so much fun. So maybe more of a general QC issue back in the not so good old days.
Some of his other videos are worth a watch. There are a few epic collections he has visited and filmed some incredible bikes and bike hoarding.

Oof, makes me a little circumspect about riding my father’s old 755Ti once I’ve put it all back together. Now to find a fairly flat route to the nearest level crossing…

It used to be not uncommon to find continental frames with a piece of hardwood dowel hammered into the bottom of the steerer tube. One theory was that it was to provide emergency support should the steerer crack above the fork crown whilst another was that it was there to provide some damping of vibration in light weight tubing. Personally I think it was started by a rider to wind-up his rivals into thinking he had some sort of technological advantage.

I’m pleased he mentioned it had been heated as part of the paint process, makes me a bit happier that my standard/not painted or heated up bike may not be the death trap I had started to see it as!

I’m pleased he mentioned it had been heated as part of the paint process, makes me a bit happier that my standard/not painted or heated up bike may not be the death trap I had started to see it as!
Well yeah baking 30 year old glue was never going to contribute to the restoration process. I watched the video before seeing this thread and I thought it was overkill and the frame looked fine before stripping it. Sheer wanton vandalism to get a few more clicks, which has been rather successful as witnessed here.

BTW these frames also have plastic inserts in the joints which will melt at paint baking temperatures.

Back