Instead of Long reach Calipers.

I came across these:

HTB1pFzSLVXXXXavaXXXq6xXFXXXz.jpg

HTB1Y162LVXXXXbNXFXXq6xXFXXXE.jpg

A nice compromise for long reach calipers

GuyBoden":2e1q7lst said:
Instead of Long reach Calipers

Where did you see them please, I need one for a modern bike.jm.

jm":19hflve2 said:
GuyBoden":19hflve2 said:
Instead of Long reach Calipers

Where did you see them please, I need one for a modern bike.jm.
Like the proverbial rocking horse excrement - extremely rare these days. I had one in the 80's but not seen one since!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
GuyBoden":36ipi3yf said:
From Poland £36?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-NOS- ... 2185117206
s-l1600.jpg

I'd make your own, if you can. A piece of Aluminium, drill two holes, a bolt to fix to the frame in one hole, your brake caliper in the other hole. File and polish to look nice.

For modern calipers that can't (without a lot of bother) be dismantled then your idea is fine. The Campag ones replaced the standard 'straight' caliper pivot bolt which meant taking the caliper apart and rebuilding. I needed one because my frame builder made an almighty cock-up in positioning the rear brake bridge.

Old Ned":w5q46pt2 said:
GuyBoden":w5q46pt2 said:
From Poland £36?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-NOS- ... 2185117206
s-l1600.jpg

I'd make your own, if you can. A piece of Aluminium, drill two holes, a bolt to fix to the frame in one hole, your brake caliper in the other hole. File and polish to look nice.

For modern calipers that can't (without a lot of bother) be dismantled then your idea is fine. The Campag ones replaced the standard 'straight' caliper pivot bolt which meant taking the caliper apart and rebuilding. I needed one because my frame builder made an almighty cock-up in positioning the rear brake bridge.

Also, the Campag drop bolt looks superb, but they are rare and expensive.
I'd say that the two hole DIY drop bolt idea will work fine for vintage side pulls too.................

Personally, I'd look at buying some stainless steel marine bolt hooks with the two holes and cut the hook off, then file and polish:

coat-hook-814659-main.jpg

Back