don't ride on the pavement

Really sad. Just goes to show that one shouldn't underestimate bikes in regards to road safety, pedestrians should always, always be first priority in regards to safety in contrast to any form of vehicle.

Despicable behaviour, and a 1yr sentence for taking a life shameful... I know from experience what it is like to hit someone at speed and it is terrifying, and I still feel bad about it over 30 years on.

EDIT:
I would like to point out I was not actually riding on the pavement when this happened, but I was at least partially to blame, I saw a gaggle of kids standing in the middle of the road and in my youthful exuberance decided to 'give them a buzz', as I sped toward them one ran out right in front of me and I hit him full on...

Last edited:
Again like drivers, if you want to kill someone do it with transport. You can get away with it when you compare to other methods.

As a side.
Compared to drivers killing people, drivers hardly make the news now. (and then it's always the cars fault not the driver).
Headline here should be 'Cycle crashes into lady walking' , for the local Live! click paper if they want to keep it comparable.

Just be careful and cautious what ever you move around on or in. Think of others.

Sad to hear and do keep cycling on the pavement if it makes you feel safe as per the home office and chief police persons (I think) advisory. Just do it safely and everyone else has priority over you.

According to the interwebz...

Of the 548 pedestrians killed on UK pavements in the last 13 years, 542 of those deaths involved motor vehicles driving on the pavement.

When I was just a skinny lad, never knew no good from bad..

I'd just passed my driving test age 17 and took my dad's Volvo out for the first time with one of my friends sat in the passenger seat eating Opal Fruits, I drove from the top of Stannington (where we lived) around Dam Flask and through Hillsborough.. heading towards Hillsborough corner.

There is a pub called the Shakespeare.. Some pissed dude staggared out of the door straight in front of my car and i hit him full on at 30mph, he flew over the car and landed in a heap in the road, i got out and his equally intoxicated wife started ragging me around shouting "you've killed my f**king husband" witnesses came out of the pub saying he was pissed as a fart, cops never arrived (this is south yorkshire police farce after all) so i went to Hammerton Rd police station to explain what happened, got arrested, called my dad and sat in the cells.. my dad took ages to arrive because i had the damn car, gave a statement under caution, got breathalysed, later they called the hospital, he was 5x over the drink drive limit, had a broken leg, a broken hip and a broken wrist but and admitted all responsibility so although traumatised i was free to leave.

They put a hand rail between the pub doorway and the road soon after...

I cycle to work, in the good weather, and part of my journey involves a few short bits of footpath, to link up the unconnected bits of cycle oaths and bridle ways we have. You just have to be very very aware, careful and polite. I have had run ins with pedestrians on the shared cycle paths and bridle ways who seem to think that everything is a foot path and bikes should be on the road. News like this doesn't help the relationship between foot users and those with wheels. I'm always saying thank you.

The lad will, presumably, be devastated by it.
But why has he been banned from driving? Is it because you can't get banned from cycling?

I cycle to work, in the good weather, and part of my journey involves a few short bits of footpath, to link up the unconnected bits of cycle oaths and bridle ways we have. You just have to be very very aware, careful and polite. I have had run ins with pedestrians on the shared cycle paths and bridle ways who seem to think that everything is a foot path and bikes should be on the road. News like this doesn't help the relationship between foot users and those with wheels. I'm always saying thank you.
I agree it is a very difficult situation especially with shared cycle paths, but I cycled into town yesteday on a road cyclepath and within 1/4 mile there were 3 veihcles parked in the cyclepath... I digress, sometimes it is difficult because of modern attitudes and technology I was riding down a shared path recently, it was narrow with a wall on one side and a busy road on the other, there was a young lad dawddling along so I slowed right down and said excuse me... Nothing... Louder EXCUSE ME... Still Nothing... Shouting EXCUSE ME... He finally turned around earpods in and looked blankly at me but gave me just enough room to get past so I did and rode off...

Back