Donnay r800 (Alan Record Lugs & CarbonValley Frame) [1987]

Re: Re:

Donkey Oaty":2migt4kp said:
Hi, hmmm, point taken. How about a Guerciotti? Very similar to Alan and I remember that they did do a Carbon/Alu like the Spesh....
Cheers,
Donkey.
great! thank you so much! i'll try to contact also them to investigate if it could be one of their old model ;)

Re: my new-old unknown Alu-Carbon Roadie

Looks like an Alan to me, just without any pantographing on the lugs. Same as the frames that went under the names of "British Eagle", "Carbon Valley" and the "Donnay" frames.
There's been a few threads on here about these unbranded Alan frames, so if it's got a serial number stamped under the bottom bracket you could always email Alan in Italy to see if they can come up with anything.

If you Google image search "donnay carbon bike frames" there's quite a few pictures of frames identical to yours with the three top tube cable guides and no pantographing on the lugs.
Have a look at the other thread on Readers Road Bikes on the 1987 Alan Carbonio, similar unbranded frame that turned out to be an Alan I believe.

rikster":jazeu9q8 said:
Looks like an Alan to me, just without any pantographing on the lugs. Same as the frames that went under the names of "British Eagle", "Carbon Valley" and the "Donnay" frames.
There's been a few threads on here about these unbranded Alan frames, so if it's got a serial number stamped under the bottom bracket you could always email Alan in Italy to see if they can come up with anything.
wow! great to hear this!
unfortunately it doesn't have any serial number... but i check immediately the brand that you list to me! thank you so much!

rikster":gpcmiu0c said:
If you Google image search "donnay carbon bike frames" there's quite a few pictures of frames identical to yours with the three top tube cable guides and no pantographing on the lugs.
Have a look at the other thread on Readers Road Bikes on the 1987 Alan Carbonio, similar unbranded frame that turned out to be an Alan I believe.
it's exactly the same!
i'll try immediately them to ask if could be possible to have their decal kit!
thank you so much!

rikster":rsrzgpa0 said:

Alan supplied frames ( no pantographing ) to other companys I'm pretty sure TVT had some & Guerciotti most certainly did as I meched for a team that rode them for a season in the early 80's as well as the brands mentioned above

mattiamerca":29zymcwc said:
rikster":29zymcwc said:
wow! great to hear this!
unfortunately it doesn't have any serial number... but i check immediately the brand that you list to me! thank you so much!

Have you checked the Fork Steerer & inside the non drive rear drop out

rikster":25tzw2wj said:
If you Google image search "donnay carbon bike frames" there's quite a few pictures of frames identical to yours with the three top tube cable guides and no pantographing on the lugs. Have a look at the other thread on Readers Road Bikes on the 1987 Alan Carbonio, similar unbranded frame that turned out to be an Alan I believe.
you win!

Little Al":25tzw2wj said:
There's been a few threads on here about these unbranded Alan frames, so if it's got a serial number stamped under the bottom bracket you could always email Alan in Italy to see if they can come up with anything. Alan supplied frames ( no pantographing ) to other companys I'm pretty sure TVT had some & Guerciotti most certainly did as I meched for a team that rode them for a season in the early 80's as well as the brands mentioned above

A.F. of Alan bikes has just answered to my email saying that:
"Buongiorno, il telaio non è produzione originale Alan.
Era stato fabbricato da una ditta di Matera (Carbon Valley) ,con cui all’epoca avevamo un accordo per la fornitura delle congiunzioni derivate dal nostro vecchio modello Record, che , con tubi di loro produzione, vendevano poi i telai alla Donnay in Belgio.
Le posso comunque fornire il kit di decals così diventa un Alan Record Carbonio.
Saluti
A. F./ Alan bikes"

that could be quickly sum-up as:
"...the frame isn't directly produced by Alan.
it's been produced by a company sited in Matera (South-Italy, city that is Unesco heritage) called "Carbon Valley", with which at the time Alan had an agreement for the supply of conjunctions derived from our old model Record, which, with tubes of their production[*], they (Donnay)sold the frames to Donnay in Belgium.
I can still provide the decals kit thus becomes an Alan Record Carbon."

[*] tubes could be the kit supplyed by french company "TVT" (Téchnique Carbone Tissée) that produced carbon tubeset for many other companies, like i.e. for: Look, Concorde, Alan, Bottecchia, Pinarello, Vitus.
Vitus & Alan used own-made conjunctions.
TVT had produced also self-branded bikes.

So the mystery of the new-old unknown alu-carbon roadie is solved! Congratulations!

A very interesting reply from A.F. at Alan about the Carbon Valley and Donnay frames, very good of him to take the time to explain the story about their production.

So are you going to get the decal kit or leave it as it is?

Back