ATALA ? 1994?95 or somethin' similar

mattiamerca

Retro Guru
I've sell the cromed with the full nuovo gransport groupset, and also the red&chromed presented here more or less 2 months ago...
I'm now using this one...

IMG_20220602_111603.jpg
IMG_20220602_111654.jpg
IMG_20220602_111630 (1).jpg

Frame: Atala ? year ?
Fork: steely unicrown 1"
Headset: Campagnolo 1"
Habdlebar: ITM ergo
Stem: ITM quill
Grips: yellow old bar tape...(the replacement with a black one is planned)
Seatclamp: -
Seatpost: chinese carbon 27,2 x 400
Saddle: Selle Italia TransAM
Brake levers: Shimano SORA 2x8
Brakes: Shimano SORA
Shifters: Shimano SORA 2x8
Rear der.: Shimano SORA 8v
Front der.: Shimano 105 brazed
Cassette: MICHE 8 speed 12-26
Chain: atmo KMC or similar... very light, for 8 speed
BB: Shimano square
Crankset: Shimano SORA Square bb 52-39 or something similar
pedals: unknown cheap chinese aluminum platform
Front wheel: FIR 30mm
Rear wheel: FIR 30mm
tires: orrible michelin in red... when they will ko, i'll put here a pair of Continental Gransport...

Atala have been around for years, certainly since before WW2 and probably earlier. Sponsored a pro team on the Italian scene for decades - Urs Freuler and Gianni Bugno both rode for the team. In the day the frames were real class but relatively unknown outside of Italy.

Atala have been around for years, certainly since before WW2 and probably earlier. Sponsored a pro team on the Italian scene for decades - Urs Freuler and Gianni Bugno both rode for the team. In the day the frames were real class but relatively unknown outside of Italy.
Yeah mate, atala is a brand of Padua (Padova in italian) initially own by Cesare Rizzato...
They also made kastle (90s and early 2000s) and whistle (2000 and probably still in use) that identify more "pro" Model... Mantaining atala brand for city bike, kids road bike and other daily-use bikes...

My "?" is because i didn't find any info about this model and the real year... That I've supposed by the Year of the groupset

Thanks for the note 😉

From what I can see the drop-down shot-in seat stays were used on a few models in the early 90s, one was ally while the others were built with a medium spec Columbus tubing like Gara or Aelle, often just the three main tubes but for those I'd not expect to see a 27.2mm seatpin. The well finished and (to my eyes) nicely designed rear dropouts (verticals with screw adjusters) suggest to me that it's higher up spec range. Another oddity is that yours appears to have cable stops on the head tube rather than downtube bosses, that's something I've not often seen on bikes of that era.

From what I can see the drop-down shot-in seat stays were used on a few models in the early 90s, one was ally while the others were built with a medium spec Columbus tubing like Gara or Aelle, often just the three main tubes but for those I'd not expect to see a 27.2mm seatpin. The well finished and (to my eyes) nicely designed rear dropouts (verticals with screw adjusters) suggest to me that it's higher up spec range. Another oddity is that yours appears to have cable stops on the head tube rather than downtube bosses, that's something I've not often seen on bikes of that era.
Yess...
There are some really nice details...
The drop-section of the down tube is really nice.
Despite its apparence this frame is very stiff...
I initially bought it to use the groupset on another bike, but it's so good that I start to use this for the 90% of my rides...

Cool frame, some nice details by the look of it and an excitingly lairy paint job! The tyres and tape suit the frame well too. Shame there is so little information out there about Atala in the 90s and beyond. I have a late 90s/2000 Dedacciai steel frame I struggled to get any information about. The headtube cable stops are indeed an unusual feature, mine and the few other late 90s Atala frames I've seen all have standard downtube bosses.

I'm thinking to put there a 2003 duraace crankset... Should be usable or could be some incompatibility?
Dura Ace 7800? That's 10 speed. Probably won't be ideal for the current 8 speed chain. Dura Ace 7800 is a beautiful group. Better than today's 12 speed.

Nice bike though, is it Columbus Thron? Cromor? Dedacchia Uno? ORIA?

Latest posts

Back