Does anyone know anything about Jacques Anquetil bikes?

If you do respray the frame mask over the "renolds" label - its lovely. Keep some originality.
If the rest of the writing is stickers it can go, if its hand painted signwriting you should keep it
imho

I seem to have bought one.

Photos to follow but it seems to be from the 60s or early 70s.

Can't post photos at the mo but the handlebars have been replaced by steaight ones, a long time ago to judge by the condition and the brake levers.

Everything else looks pretty original. The brakes are Weinmann 750/Vainquer 999 centre-pull ones, it's only a 5-speed and the derailleur is a Gian Robert, which is a brand I've never heard of.

The gear lever is Huret, there's a sort of band-on junction near the bottom bracket to route the gear cable round which is Suntour.

The wheels still have stickers on the rims, which are Remerx Sprint - and the hubs are Campagnolo Record. Which was an unexpected bonus.

Overall the frame is not in great cosmetic condition, quite a few bits of surface rust where scratches haven't been touched up. The frame is a nice purple colour, with decals saying 'Cycles Jacques Anquetil France' under the handlebars, 'Renolds 531' under the seat post and below that two world champion rainbow bands above and below a decal of Jacques' face superimposed on a map outline of France.

It seems nice and light. I mainly bought it to ride, because of the 531 frame. But is it worth Actual Money? Or worth restoring?

I did have a plan to get the frame resprayed and upgrade the rest with more modern components, but would that be sacrilege?

Hi. Seven years on since you posted this but I recognize the bike I built when I was a teenager! The chainset, gear shift lever, brakes, gears etc. I bought the frame from Butterworth's in Sheffield around 1977-78 and the various parts. Used to spend hours cycling with my friend. How nice (and amazing) to see it again. Fond memories.

Hi. Seven years on since you posted this but I recognize the bike I built when I was a teenager! The chainset, gear shift lever, brakes, gears etc. I bought the frame from Butterworth's in Sheffield around 1977-78 and the various parts. Used to spend hours cycling with my friend. How nice (and amazing) to see it again. Fond memories.

Wow what a fantastic thing to spot!

Did you paint the 'Renolds' badge?! As 531brazed says above, its a lovely feature!

Back