Does anyone know anything about Jacques Anquetil bikes?

Eddy Merckx did this a few years later with his name, sold it to any bidder including Kessels and Falcon. All sorts of bike appeared in Molteni colours from the very nice to the downright shocking.....

I did, however use Jaques Anquetil shoe plates :D

mt4zP2F1v0toejZMfRBL62A.jpg

Shaun

Old Ned":3roejge7 said:
I don't think that is one of the RonKit ones. The purple they used was a 'flamboyant' style of paint and the name in capitals is also wrong, RonKits were a silvery stick-on type. It is possibly a French one from Gitane?

It is possible. The brakes are connected up the French way, with the front brake operated by the left lever.

What do you think about the weight issue? Is it too heavy to be genuine Reynolds 531?

'It is possible. The brakes are connected up the French way, with the front brake operated by the left lever.'

My brakes are always connected this way.

But then I am Welsh.

Re:

+1 left hand front.

I set them up that way 'cause I'm left handed.

Front derailleur-front brake always seemed more logical to me too.

French bike brakes gave me my first ever case of road rash, aged about 12... on holiday in France on a hire bike, turning left on gravel while going a bit fast downhill. Instinctively went for the left brake lever rather than the right one - OUCH!

Never the trusted the continental setup ever since...

Is there a way of telling whether it's genuine 'Renolds' (sic) 531 or not?

Should the bike weigh around 12 kilos or should it be lighter than that?

DrewSavage":398l20cn said:
Is there a way of telling whether it's genuine 'Renolds' (sic) 531 or not?

Should the bike weigh around 12 kilos or should it be lighter than that?
Usually by seat post size +the weight 26.8mm or 27.0 or 27.2 would go for the 26.8 if you think it"s French built, depends on the rest of the bits as to the weight but a decent frame & quality bits usually come in around the 22lbs mark

I'm waiting on a cable end ferrule to arrive in the post, but hopefully I can connect up the back brake tomorrow and actually take it for a ride.

Looking at the photos, can anyone guess how old it might be? The Vainqueur brakes could date from any time from 1959 onwards, by the look of it.

When I was adjusting the brakes, there was a washer on one of them that said Elswick Hopper. I'm guessing that says more about the bike shop that fitted that washer than the bike itself - but you never know.

Were Elswick ever connected with Anquetil?

Back