Disk Tensión Tioga & Sugino

The Kevlar rope I use if necessary (some old ones are good) and I don't change them

It is natural Kevlar thread. Flat thread 5 mm wide and 0.7 thick. Then I manipulate it by hand (each side of a disk is between 20m, 36h and 25m, 32h)

Weight: 0.805g/m
Density: approx. 1.45 g/cm³
Tensile strength: approx. 2,880MPa
Traction Module: approx. 100 GPa
Elongation at break: 2.8%

IMG_2438.jpeg

Another peculiarity that I have seen is the aging of the NOS Disk. Sugino glue is better quality. You will never find a shiny Tioga Disk Nos 32. On the other hand, the Sugino 32h (brown rope) are always great (NOS)

I have had many Disks tension of my own, used, NOS and also others that I have reviewed or restored. maybe more than 150. And Sugino glue, after 30 years, is still brilliant.

I suppose that tadashi/sugino, when he sold the patent to Tioga, did not tell them the secret 100x100

IMG_2444.jpeg

IMG_2442.jpeg

Last edited:
The first prototypes that Sugino manufactured are in many ways different from those that were later mass-produced.
Black anodized nipples, a little larger and with a different screw (the usual screw is M4) these are M3.5.
IMG_2182.jpeg

IMG_2183.jpeg

Also the adapters to the Hub are different. The adapter on the left is from a Tioga, smaller than the prototype adapter. It also changes the string position. In Tioga 36h, the rope passes through 4 rivets, in the prototype there would be 5 rivets.
IMG_2190.jpeg

Recently, I discovered that the rear prototypes were also like this. Even the aluminum hole for inflation valve. black nipples and large hub adapters. Photo is from Oldschoolracing.ch

I think that Bula and Rock Shox sticker makes me think that that rear prototype was also from a certain Greg.

IMG_2453.jpeg

Another thing that I have been asked many times is if a Sugino 28 can be adapted into a Sugino or Tioga 26.

It is something that could be done, but, using the same Shimano Dure Ace or Hügi 130 hub. The wings of the road hub are a little smaller than the wings of the mtb hub. And the Sugino Hub adapters are also smaller on the inside. Some time ago I built a Tioga 32H with Sugino 28 adapter and Dura Ace hub (change the axle later). The result was acceptable. and I still ride it from time to time.

You could also use a Bullseye Hub, for those Sugino 28 adapters. They fit perfectly and it would be a perfect and very clean Wheel when turning (for me it is one of the perfect Hubs)

IMG_2449.jpeg IMG_2451.jpeg IMG_2474.jpeg

Last edited:
This was an ad on EBay for a Tioga 36 H mk2. Where I warned that it was not usable and was in poor condition. It's been two years since that. It later came into my hands to recover, and I think it was the worst Tioga I have ever seen. It was glued with Loctite (strings included) It took more than 6 months to recover. It was impossible to recover plastics, mesh and Kevlar ropes. It sold on eBay for £1,200. I wouldn't pay even £300 for that.

Back