Did others know this? Charlie Cunningham injury and recovery????

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This entirely passed me by....I had no idea that Jackie Phelan and Charlie C were dealing with this terrible stuff...

How about a fund raiser ride on the South Downs or somewhere sensible - 20gbp 'entry' and a day ride and nonsense, when all this Lockdown malarkey is reducing? Proceeds across the pond to Marin County since they still are fund raising....

Al lot of what we ride now is linked in some way to the things Charlie C laid down....

Nice idea. I donated a couple years ago to the gofundme. A very worthy cause

Thanks Raidan. I'll have a think and put a tangible suggestion together with slightly more interesting/compelling text.

Thanks MPG - I'll put some text together during the week and get it on here next Friday PM when people are getting active for the weekend.

I must confess I didn't know much about Charlie Cunningham's role in the development of mountain biking before now, I'd heard the name of course and knew a little of his influence but after reading that article I'm blown away, it's amazing how far ahead of the game he was, some of his concepts from the 1970's still look modern today, in fact some of his ideas are still lightyears ahead of what the industry is doing now.

The iconic Salsa ALC Jelly bean with the drop bars is one of those bikes that just looked right to me, it looked right back then and still looks right today, the fact that it was based on his design 20+ years after he conceived of it, and that Gravel bikes™ are pretty much Cunningham bikes 40+ years after he told us what we needed - Incredible.

The latest news on Charlie is not good.

I’ve been in sporadic contact with Jacquie Phelan since I met her in Scotland about 15 years ago

An email today says “He broke three bones last week…
and i can’t care for him here. but they’r releasing him to our home!”

Of course America and healthcare…

The fundraiser is still running

The CunninghamBikes site is offline but is web archived

This is the famous bike he built for Jacquie

Back