Diamondback Axis Pro '92 build...in trouble already!!

Re: Re:

BoyBurning":d8gknl4n said:
Don't take offence at the question, but needs to be asked.

Were you turning the right way to remove, and not simply tightening it further in? If it moved a little then stopped like you say, you might have been turning the wrong way!

None taken! That question absolutely must always get asked. I was turning it the right way, I now think that little bit of movement yesterday was the teeth grinding

konacarl":3onmk4q8 said:
charcoalchef":3onmk4q8 said:
I'd removed the drive side so I can't hammer through

The bb tool still grips it a little.... And I did get it to move already, a little! So I'm thinking of epoxying the tool into the cup and then using a crank bolt and washers to push it down really firmly into the cup so it bites it. Soaking through over night with wd40 from the other side (open because I got the drive side cup out) and that might just do it!

Otherwise, has anybody tried drilling it out with a hole saw? I'm guessing it might be a bit risky..

Won’t it hammer out from the non drive side?
I’ve tried drilling a really bad one out but the bits were catching and snapping. I tried grinding it too but ended up using caustic soda and it was so much easier.

I had always thought that the non drive side cup was part of the bottom bracket and could not be removed thats why i dissmissed this suggestion. Today when my efforts failed I just hit the spindle hard a few times with a hammer and out it came!
must be a different type of bb to the ones ive seen before, lucky!

All that was left to do was carefully cut the cup and peel it out of the bb shell

Thank you Konacarl, and apologies for not listening!...the caustic soda method would have been my next resort

The threads in the bb shell are fine i checked and even the bb seems unharmed although i hit that spindle pretty hard and of course i need 2 new cups!

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_131827_resize_63.jpg
    IMG_20201205_131827_resize_63.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 121

stefanano57":8oeq2550 said:
Drilling a hole into the cup and then tapping with a hammer and punch in the right direction rarely fails.

Failing that, drilling four holes and using one of these never fails.

Stefano57, what is this called?

charcoalchef":1420fxmv said:
konacarl":1420fxmv said:
charcoalchef":1420fxmv said:
I'd removed the drive side so I can't hammer through

The bb tool still grips it a little.... And I did get it to move already, a little! So I'm thinking of epoxying the tool into the cup and then using a crank bolt and washers to push it down really firmly into the cup so it bites it. Soaking through over night with wd40 from the other side (open because I got the drive side cup out) and that might just do it!

Otherwise, has anybody tried drilling it out with a hole saw? I'm guessing it might be a bit risky..

Won’t it hammer out from the non drive side?
I’ve tried drilling a really bad one out but the bits were catching and snapping. I tried grinding it too but ended up using caustic soda and it was so much easier.

I had always thought that the non drive side cup was part of the bottom bracket and could not be removed thats why i dissmissed this suggestion. Today when my efforts failed I just hit the spindle hard a few times with a hammer and out it came!
must be a different type of bb to the ones ive seen before, lucky!

All that was left to do was carefully cut the cup and peel it out of the bb shell

Thank you Konacarl, and apologies for not listening!...the caustic soda method would have been my next resort

The threads in the bb shell are fine i checked and even the bb seems unharmed although i hit that spindle pretty hard and of course i need 2 new cups!

Brilliant! It does usually work if all else fails.

charcoalchef":2k9vj24y said:
stefanano57":2k9vj24y said:
Drilling a hole into the cup and then tapping with a hammer and punch in the right direction rarely fails.

Failing that, drilling four holes and using one of these never fails.

Stefano57, what is this called?

Back