Decoding Marin frame numbers.

Got it.I think you've explained it pretty well,but as you say,it's a complicated one to put down in writing.It looks like you're right about the frame size ID being introduced for the '95 range,didn't learn that from the previous thread so some new info now,thanks for that!
Some flippin 'jigsaw puzzle eh? 😂

So having got many more frame numbers from members, ive found that my original assertion on the pre 90 numbers was correct, so ive amended the " formular" at the top of page 1.

This did in my search throw up a few anomalies, namely a few bikes with, say for example a 91 frame number, having 90 livery on it. After investigating it, i can say for certain that this does happen.....the reason is that the model lineup does not change at midnight on the 31st of december each year.

In fact, bitd, marins range changed around April, with release of new models. So its quite possible to have a 90 spec frame ( built say jan 91) with a 91 model number stamped into it.

Whether the opposite is true too and that marin used old frames with new livery, i have no real evidence for.

Hope it clears it up a bit.

What brought Retrobike to my attention in 2010, was a search for info on marin frame numbers and the 2008 post which has gone on ever since!

However, ive always been concerned about the number of people on the thread saying the system "dont work for them". Given the rise in demand, interest and frankly prices over the last 2 years, i thought i might spend a bit of time looking into WHY it wasn't working for everybody.

Having owned several marins, including some 80s ones, I very soon realised that most of the confusion and problems arise between 90 and 93 models. So I set about " collecting" 50+ frame numbers and model info from you guys and ebay sellers.

Marin have come in for some serious berating, about this, but my realisation of late was that actually they had it pretty much right, it just how you read the result that may be at fault.

So here is our update...this may be old news to some, but might be helpful new news to others.

Thanks to "marc two tone" for his help

As with everything, im only human, if ive got it wrong or you have additional info to share please do so to help the group and update the thread.

Hi

Real good info my Bear Valley M91..... looks like produced in factory 1990 for 1991 shop release with a '91 dark anthracite colourway ...... makes sense.
Frame 1" headset Race Bred seat stays.

Last edited:
Harrr.harrr, im a bit slow here....your one of the kind people who sent me your frame number for the above.....cheers.....yours and a few others kinda proved the hypothesis was correct as the old system i had wrong would have made yours a 89 with 91 colours! Under the revised method its 91.....in 91 colours....all present and correct

Cheers

My next step is to put all those numbers into a spreadsheet, order them numerically ( excluding date indicator) and see if the numbers are sequential with the date indicator.....it might help people with partial numbers or to eliminate fraud in an ever increasingly pricy market. If not it might help identify if more information is held in the code.

My next step is to put all those numbers into a spreadsheet, order them numerically ( excluding date indicator) and see if the numbers are sequential with the date indicator.....it might help people with partial numbers or to eliminate fraud in an ever increasingly pricy market. If not it might help identify if more information is held in the code.
[/Q
Harrr.harrr, im a bit slow here....your one of the kind people who sent me your frame number for the above.....cheers.....yours and a few others kinda proved the hypothesis was correct as the old system i had wrong would have made yours a 89 with 91 colours! Under the revised method its 91.....in 91 colours....all present and correct

Cheers
My '91 has 1" headset and Race Bred seat stays points to old stock stamped M91 does make sense.

Back