Dealing with that pesky dried tyre sealant.....

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right....I now have it. When it's dried on a tyre, it's the Devil's Work to remove. Many tyres get discarded with plenty of tread, because of this 'evil snot' problem. It clings like...a very clingy thing. So...what you do:

1 buy a dozen perfectly good but snotty and coated Specialized tyres (29x2.4 etc)
2 waste an entire afternoon on one NOT getting anywhere with wire wool, wire brush etc
3 soak in a bucket as people say, for two weeks
4 spend another fruitless afternoon picking it off, scraping it, and getting nowhere.
5 soak it again, emptying out the horrid fetid water every three days
6 waste another afternoon.
7 throw them in a rage to the back of the barn in the dark and cool
8 leave them for a year, having actively forgotten about the bast++ds
9 discover them on Monday, find them covered in nasty mould and adding hugely to biodiversity
10 reach to throw then in the bin, only to pause for a minute and look closely, finding that everything has loosened up
11 get some Spontex and do a few inches, finding that everything comes off easily, avoiding breathing the cloud of spores
12 relax, since these tyres can be saved after all

There you have it.
Easy.

Well, easier than getting the sag out of bl==ding Series 2 Reverb......

Been there with second hand tyres sold for peanuts. ******* hate the shit.

Ah do they now.....many thanks....I’ll take a look

I am aghast at the tyres which get thrown away which are perfectly good for many more hundreds of miles. It’s terrible for the planet. We tend to use Hans Dampf, which can be used on the front, then relegated to the back, then disposed of when truly unuseable.

Been there with second hand tyres sold for peanuts. ******* hate the shit.

Wowzersss. The F-word is not starred out like in the old forum automatically. Is this a glitch in the new matrix or are we allowed to swear here now?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ah - I have some Finish Line Citrus Cleaner...(which sounds like it’s for cleaning lemons and oranges, but US marketeers can be c++p at grammar)....

Back