'....that's just plain nasty...' - the organic way to clean sealant off tyres

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well - I had a bunch of tyres which had been put to one side and had seriously dried up sealant and a bunch of snottites, boogers and stanimals. And it was just NOT coming off. I tried soaking them. I tried scrubbing them. I tried shouting at them. They stayed covered in tedious elastic gunk.

And as I mentioned a while ago, I threw them in the barn, in disgust. In the dark and damp bit of the barn where Bad Things live. Six months later I came across them again. and found that the latex base had become a home to the most prolific fungal growth which I have seen in a very long time. My partner said '....yeurg...that's just plain nasty...' - and they were - a mess of mouldy grossness. But rather than throwing them away I had a thought. 'Those mycelium have been feeding off something....what if they have actually loosened everything...?'. OK, so it took a few hours of scrubbing, but the most fungal one - blooming with a billion spores - was actually the easiest to clean, and came up beautifully, even though it started as the most booger-full one.

Well done Nature....

How’s your health now though!!!??

Found Joes Eco sealant does not leave such a mess. Once had to clean up a second hand tyre and that took forever though... Stans on that I think

Good point. I am very aware of the health risks of inhaling spores from mould - a very Bad Thing. So....lots of water to damp everything down and hold the spores in suspension, and do everything on an aluminium bench in the garden. Seemed fine. Very messy though.

Back