Dawes Kingpin

Here's a couple of my Kingpins that may, or may not, as the fancy takes you interest you.

CLICK THE LINKS. Blue KP, a 1967 restored to as near as new as I could get a replica of one I had in 1970, working dyno hub and lights, complete repaint by Mercian Cycle. Gold KP, a folly this one, powder coated in gold sparkle, new BB, chain set, re spoked wheels, Selle Italia saddle, it used to be purple from 1975. 85 KP this is a later KP from 1985, gave this a complete bearing overhaul and new tyres.

A lovely example!

I have a good few in my collection, they become very addictive!

Very agile bikes when upgraded, so yours must be great!

These are some of them in chronological order, my oldest being a 1966 Dawes Kingpin Sprint on the far right, so not a common bike at all.

One of only 2 on the Kingpin Facebook group.

👍

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg

Carlp and raleighmtb,

Great bikes one and all!

I've heard of the Kingpin Sprint but never seen one. Could we have a few more pics and details of the differences between the Standard and the Sprint?

Steve.

Carlp and raleighmtb,

Great bikes one and all!

I've heard of the Kingpin Sprint but never seen one. Could we have a few more pics and details of the differences between the Standard and the Sprint?

Steve.
I expect Stevo will be along shortly with more photos, but the main difference is chrome fork, five speed derailleur gears, with gear lever on a brazed on bracket at the bottom of the head tube, a bigger chain ring and no chain guard. I think that’s it. Yours in 1967 for £25.15s.0d.

Attachments

• 9980AAB4-2681-47C1-A021-E8B56AE6E2E1.jpeg
    9980AAB4-2681-47C1-A021-E8B56AE6E2E1.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Lovely Kingpin collection, they are indeed great bikes to ride and meddle with.

I've built one nice version which is shiny, comfortable and actually stops (front and rear centre-pulls).....
PXL_20220629_193114789.MP.jpg

And I've built one nasty one which is very light and fun but rather evil....

PXL_20220608_200439415.MP.jpg

Flip/flop Maillard hub (set-up fixed) laced into 500A alloy rims, super skinny Michelin's, big front cog and a Bickerton sourced front caliper!

Another one on the project list but not yet near the top.

Lovely Kingpin collection, they are indeed great bikes to ride and meddle with.

I've built one nice version which is shiny, comfortable and actually stops (front and rear centre-pulls).....
View attachment 644373

And I've built one nasty one which is very light and fun but rather evil....

View attachment 644374

Flip/flop Maillard hub (set-up fixed) laced into 500A alloy rims, super skinny Michelin's, big front cog and a Bickerton sourced front caliper!

Another one on the project list but not yet near the top.
That green one is a bit special. Did you have the fork chromed?

Back