Dave Lloyd Frame Register

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have today received a little pocket book that I bought on ebay, it is the register of all frame made by Dave Lloyd starting in 1988 (only two frames numbers) and finishing in 1999.

There is not an awful lot of detail of each frame, only the frame number, the frame type, the person or company ordering and the tubing it is made from, but for a DL nutter like me it is gold.

If you have a bike with an LL frame number, and it is apparent from the register that he made a LOT of frames for other businesses, then drop the number in here and I will post up the information I have.

Total production appears to be 1740 frames, however there are a lot of alloy and carbon frames shown in 1998 and perhaps this was a factor in why production effectively stopped that year, with only seven frames in the register for 1999.

As I run through the register I will pick out notable changes, like the first ATB - LL89008 which Dave appears to have made for himself, the first Concept 90 - LL90173, the first CATS WISKAS - LL92531 and the first BEEZ NEEZ - LL92622.

More as I discover it.
Hi there Neil, I'm currently working on a Dave Lloyd frame (DL decals and stylised paintwork) and wondered if you might have any related info. in your magic book? The frame number is KP5J42944. Many thanks in advance, JSP

Last edited:
I have today received a little pocket book that I bought on ebay, it is the register of all frame made by Dave Lloyd starting in 1988 (only two frames numbers) and finishing in 1999.

There is not an awful lot of detail of each frame, only the frame number, the frame type, the person or company ordering and the tubing it is made from, but for a DL nutter like me it is gold.

If you have a bike with an LL frame number, and it is apparent from the register that he made a LOT of frames for other businesses, then drop the number in here and I will post up the information I have.

Total production appears to be 1740 frames, however there are a lot of alloy and carbon frames shown in 1998 and perhaps this was a factor in why production effectively stopped that year, with only seven frames in the register for 1999.

As I run through the register I will pick out notable changes, like the first ATB - LL89008 which Dave appears to have made for himself, the first Concept 90 - LL90173, the first CATS WISKAS - LL92531 and the first BEEZ NEEZ - LL92622.

More as I discover it.
I'm an old Deeside Thistle CC member in Aberdeen. I have an even older club member and he wants me to fix up his Dave Llyod bike (see pics). It's made of Columbus SLX tubing, with Columbus Foderi Laminati Front Forks, Dave Lloyd time trial / road racing bike. Frame Number looks LL00238 (made in 1980 according to my friend Mike Brown) (but one number is overpainted so it could equally be LL80238 or LL90238 ). The frame has a full (unblistered) chromed front fork and 12” chromed rear forks. The frame was built by Mike in 1982 (he says). It has 'Lloyd' engraved on the Topstays, on the top rear Bridge (and with 'Silva' under the Bridge), 'DL' on front fork Crown and 'Dave Lloyd on each rear dropouts.
It's a beautiful bike - but what is actually the frame number? who made? who bought it? and when? Also what could it be worth if Mike was to sell it? Thanks DeesiderDTCC

Attachments

• LL01.jpg
    LL01.jpg
    966.7 KB · Views: 11
  • LL04.jpg
    LL04.jpg
    790.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220831_123110.jpg
    20220831_123110.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 11
  • LL12.jpg
    LL12.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 9
  • LL07.jpg
    LL07.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 10
I have just bought a lovely concept Dave Lloyd frame and would appreciate info on the original order.
it has A67 across the BB and the number 1423 the other way.
it would be great to know the tubing used etc.
cheers

Attachments

• BD1F5774-E0BF-41C6-8179-293F2079FA12.jpeg
    BD1F5774-E0BF-41C6-8179-293F2079FA12.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 7
I'm an old Deeside Thistle CC member in Aberdeen. I have an even older club member and he wants me to fix up his Dave Llyod bike (see pics). It's made of Columbus SLX tubing, with Columbus Foderi Laminati Front Forks, Dave Lloyd time trial / road racing bike. Frame Number looks LL00238 (made in 1980 according to my friend Mike Brown) (but one number is overpainted so it could equally be LL80238 or LL90238 ). The frame has a full (unblistered) chromed front fork and 12” chromed rear forks. The frame was built by Mike in 1982 (he says). It has 'Lloyd' engraved on the Topstays, on the top rear Bridge (and with 'Silva' under the Bridge), 'DL' on front fork Crown and 'Dave Lloyd on each rear dropouts.
It's a beautiful bike - but what is actually the frame number? who made? who bought it? and when? Also what could it be worth if Mike was to sell it? Thanks DeesiderDTCC
Sorry for the late reply. I don't get on the site very often these days.

That frame is without doubt a Dave Lloyd. If it was made in 1980 then I'm sorry I can't add any detail as my register starts in 1988.

LL90238 is in the book as a road frame, made of SLX and originally ordered by Neil Brown, so I think that ties in with what you have been told about the bike and certainly things like the rear brake bridge would back that up, just ten years later!

As for value, pitifully low I am afraid. Dave just doesn't seem to have the following of other frame builders despite his bikes being really excellent machines to ride. Given the condition, which is superb, I would say in the region of ÂŁ500 to the right buyer, but going by internet prices it could be as low as half that.

Sorry for the late reply. I don't get on the site very often these days.

That frame is without doubt a Dave Lloyd. If it was made in 1980 then I'm sorry I can't add any detail as my register starts in 1988.

LL90238 is in the book as a road frame, made of SLX and originally ordered by Neil Brown, so I think that ties in with what you have been told about the bike and certainly things like the rear brake bridge would back that up, just ten years later!

As for value, pitifully low I am afraid. Dave just doesn't seem to have the following of other frame builders despite his bikes being really excellent machines to ride. Given the condition, which is superb, I would say in the region of ÂŁ500 to the right buyer, but going by internet prices it could be as low as half that.
Neil, Thank you very much. Neil Brown was son of my (older) friend Mike Brown. For better history - Mike must be confused about being 1980 (I will be meeting him soon and can now sort him out!!).
Neil was (at the time) a National (Scottish) Championship SCU rider as Deeside Thistle CC. He won as Schoolboy then a Junior up to 1991 - so that ties in with him using the Dave Lloyd a a Junior in 1990 and 1991: On 15 July 1990 at Dundee Thistle RC on the DD25/1 Course was recorded by Neil Brown at 56.27 over the 25 miles as the SCU Junior Champion and later as a Senior he had heaps and on 13 July 1997 at the Dundee Centre on the DD50/1 Course was recorded by Neil Brown at 1.49.48 over the 50 miles Championship. He raced until 2002 and move across to live and work in Bahrain. He still races there... Thanks DeesiderDTCC

Neil, Thank you very much. Neil Brown was son of my (older) friend Mike Brown. For better history - Mike must be confused about being 1980 (I will be meeting him soon and can now sort him out!!).
Neil was (at the time) a National (Scottish) Championship SCU rider as Deeside Thistle CC. He won as Schoolboy then a Junior up to 1991 - so that ties in with him using the Dave Lloyd a a Junior in 1990 and 1991: On 15 July 1990 at Dundee Thistle RC on the DD25/1 Course was recorded by Neil Brown at 56.27 over the 25 miles as the SCU Junior Champion and later as a Senior he had heaps and on 13 July 1997 at the Dundee Centre on the DD50/1 Course was recorded by Neil Brown at 1.49.48 over the 50 miles Championship. He raced until 2002 and move across to live and work in Bahrain. He still races there... Thanks DeesiderDTCC
That's amazing.

Only very occasionally do we get any background to a bike and its owner, not unless they were or became a well known rider.

Thanks for posting this info.

Back