Dave Lloyd Frame Register

Hi there Neil, I'm currently working on a Dave Lloyd frame (DL decals and stylised paintwork) and wondered if you might have any related info. in your magic book? The frame number is KP5J42944. Many thanks in advance, JSP
Sorry for the very late reply.

I'm afraid that's not a Dave Lloyd frame number.

I have today received a little pocket book that I bought on ebay, it is the register of all frame made by Dave Lloyd starting in 1988 (only two frames numbers) and finishing in 1999.

There is not an awful lot of detail of each frame, only the frame number, the frame type, the person or company ordering and the tubing it is made from, but for a DL nutter like me it is gold.

If you have a bike with an LL frame number, and it is apparent from the register that he made a LOT of frames for other businesses, then drop the number in here and I will post up the information I have.

Total production appears to be 1740 frames, however there are a lot of alloy and carbon frames shown in 1998 and perhaps this was a factor in why production effectively stopped that year, with only seven frames in the register for 1999.

As I run through the register I will pick out notable changes, like the first ATB - LL89008 which Dave appears to have made for himself, the first Concept 90 - LL90173, the first CATS WISKAS - LL92531 and the first BEEZ NEEZ - LL92622.

More as I discover it.
Hi I recently bought frame number ll93773 and am hoping you have some information about it. Thanks in advance for your help

I’ve just recently been given a Dave Lloyd which was sitting in a shed. My step granddad was given it by Dave Lloyd as he was on the founding board of Halfords. The frame number is LL93776. Would be amazing if you could tell me anything!

Not sure if this one is in your book. Just picked up from a friend who had it built in the 90’s the numbers don’t start with a ll but here are some pics.

Attachments

• 8FEAF65B-E98A-4BA1-86F4-29ED5FF8064C.jpeg
    8FEAF65B-E98A-4BA1-86F4-29ED5FF8064C.jpeg
    635.5 KB · Views: 19
  • A6A80346-5064-4253-9C55-2AEB740AB897.jpeg
    A6A80346-5064-4253-9C55-2AEB740AB897.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 19
I’ve just recently been given a Dave Lloyd which was sitting in a shed. My step granddad was given it by Dave Lloyd as he was on the founding board of Halfords. The frame number is LL93776. Would be amazing if you could tell me anything!
Hi there, was built in 93, and 776 is the number built so far, I was the painter but can't remember the frame in question, maybe if I seen the finish would jog my memory..😁

Hi @Andy_W and welcome. I was wondering between what years you were painting for Dave L?

Hi, yeah I was there from around June 92 to Feb/march 98.. I was originally a Saturday lad at the place before then (91) building bikes and tapping out frames, fitting headsets etc..I had a job in a body shop Painting cars and repairs on a YTS and got the extra work through a Kev Jones in the cycling club I joined, he was the original painter for Dave and worked there until September 91 but had an unfortunate incident which resulted in a broken leg, Dave was needing a replacement asap and that's when Richie got the job but not sure exactly how it came about...Richie left to set up his own paint shop in the summer of 92 which basically left Dave without a painter.. at the time I wasn't particularly enjoying my job at the garage and was asked if I was interested, I agreed so Kev came back in for a couple of weeks to give me some training.. then took it from there really..I estimate painting around 2000 frames in that period, average was usually eight a week, and Dave could build maybe four or five a week, so the rest were resprays ..I do have some photos from back then, not a great deal ..I'm the one in the pic in the leaflet he had produced, some pics were Richie's paint jobs, the others mine, depending on when the photo shoot took place..toward the end of being there he was starting to bring in alloy frames and forks and then after leaving he sent the frames to the Belgian place (where I believe Colnago had their frames done) to get painted... I did really enjoy the job and had magazine articles all the time, I lost a folder with cuttings in which is really annoying...but there you go, I can remember and identify my work when I see most of them, even though Richie designed the chevron finish I did that one too after learning the process..

Hi, yeah I was there from around June 92 to Feb/march 98.. I was originally a Saturday lad at the place before then (91) building bikes and tapping out frames, fitting headsets etc..I had a job in a body shop Painting cars and repairs on a YTS and got the extra work through a Kev Jones in the cycling club I joined, he was the original painter for Dave and worked there until September 91 but had an unfortunate incident which resulted in a broken leg, Dave was needing a replacement asap and that's when Richie got the job but not sure exactly how it came about...Richie left to set up his own paint shop in the summer of 92 which basically left Dave without a painter.. at the time I wasn't particularly enjoying my job at the garage and was asked if I was interested, I agreed so Kev came back in for a couple of weeks to give me some training.. then took it from there really..I estimate painting around 2000 frames in that period, average was usually eight a week, and Dave could build maybe four or five a week, so the rest were resprays ..I do have some photos from back then, not a great deal ..I'm the one in the pic in the leaflet he had produced, some pics were Richie's paint jobs, the others mine, depending on when the photo shoot took place..toward the end of being there he was starting to bring in alloy frames and forks and then after leaving he sent the frames to the Belgian place (where I believe Colnago had their frames done) to get painted... I did really enjoy the job and had magazine articles all the time, I lost a folder with cuttings in which is really annoying...but there you go, I can remember and identify my work when I see most of them, even though Richie designed the chevron finish I did that one too after learning the process..

Great info Andy 👍🏼 I was aware of ‘big’ Kev, and chatted to Ritchie on here last year. This should be one of yours, a hybrid from 95…..

IMG_2271.jpeg

Great info Andy 👍🏼 I was aware of ‘big’ Kev, and chatted to Ritchie on here last year. This should be one of yours, a hybrid from 95…..

View attachment 775859
Oh yeah, known as Big Kev..😁 still is...this paint job was initially designed by Kev, bit mad but very effective, I did a few, not many but can tell the solid white decals were used late 90s rather than the outlined ones, this way the could be laquered over... If it is original then definitely mine, I usually put decals on the seat tube but obviously to customers request...I do love seeing these bikes still looking good after all these years!

Back