'Dangerous Peugeot bikes'

I also had one of those in the mid-late 80s, and it was indeed a nice frame to ride. Was quite sprightly for a 501 frame, and it was a gate (64cm). Only problem was that the seatpost was stuck -- held in by a small grub screw in the seat tube, IIRC. I've not heard of any QC issues beyond those you'd expect for mass manufacture.

Came across this ad: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1487023898300252/?ref=facebook_story_share

Was surprised to see such strong sentiment towards the classic Peugeot frames/forks.
I know some of the bonded alu frames were notorious for coming apart, but have never heard, or am able to find any such negativity towards the steel bikes.

Is this common knowledge that has passed me by, or is this guy a bit paranoid?
I`ve had dozens of Peugeots and love them ( currently have 5 ) , never had a failure, I think its true that the Aluminium Comete ( called Galaxy in US ) suffered a small number of joint failures and such is the litigious nature over there that the importer ( Cycles Peugeot US ? ) got spooked and scrapped the lot , offering to buy back the bikes and having dealers saw the frames up for scrap. In truth they had tried to make a more cost effective version of the Vitus 979 that they had previously adopted and rebadged as a Peugeot but the Comete / Galaxy was a big step down in quality and design from the 979 . Peugeot were innovators , the PY10-FC Carbon fibre ( Peugeot made their own carbon fibre tubes which were thicker than the vitus carbone that people confuse as identical ) . The lower end stuff could be a bit ropey but even here they were advancing frame construction producing strong and light lugless frames with internal brazing .The higher end PX / PY Reynolds framed models are still highly regarded and generally well made. Peugeot also had their own custom build unit , similar to Raleighs SBDU called the Prestige frame shop , they built the team frames and the special order PY models such as the Pro10 as used by Robert Millar in the TDF . I suspect the chap on fb has had fun and games with the seat post as it looks like he`s had a heat to the seat tube and it is one of those short lived rear seat tube binder bolt arrangements that Peugeot tried for about a year .

Most dangerous thing about the one pictured in the fb link is that someone could get strangled by the length of the rear brake cable 😂

I had a Peugeot Perthus, Reynolds 753, back in the 1990’s. It was handling a bit strangely out on a ride one day, a close inspection of the frame revealed that the seat tube had snapped cleanly between the seat tube bottle cage bolt bosses. The aluminium bottle cage was all that was holding it together! That’s the only frame I’ve ever had fail on me and there were never any issues with the seat post being stuck or water collecting in the seat tube/ BB area.

Back