'Dangerous Peugeot bikes'

KeepItSteel

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Came across this ad: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1487023898300252/?ref=facebook_story_share

Was surprised to see such strong sentiment towards the classic Peugeot frames/forks.
I know some of the bonded alu frames were notorious for coming apart, but have never heard, or am able to find any such negativity towards the steel bikes.

Is this common knowledge that has passed me by, or is this guy a bit paranoid?

I had that exact model - and it was an absolute delight to ride. I had the frame checked by my LBS when I bought it - just to make sure a 35 year frame was ok - and it was rock solid. I've never come across a problem, admittedly I've not gone out searching!

Yeah I've read testimony to how well many of their steel frames ride, especially in comparison to relatively low purchase prices.
I understand if this guy has seen a friend lose their life on a given bike, but I'm not convinced his judgement is wholly correct. I suppose a lack of supporting evidence suggests similar.

Sad part is he will probably destroy the frameset

The QC was said to be a bit variable, there's no doubt that some shoddy frames got through, even at the high end.

Complete rubbish. First I've heard of it.

The one in his picture looks like it's been crashed anyway. Might be an optical illusion with the brickwork, but the fork looks out of line with the head tube and the top and down tubes don't look particularly straight.

Suit yourself! If it's the first you've heard of it, how do you know it's rubbish?

"French bicycles were produced in numbers so large that quality control became an issue and parts were often substituted, swapped, or otherwise thrown together to meet high production demands, sometimes resulting in an amalgamation of different models. In the case of Peugeot, problems included paint and weld issues, along with occasional frame misalignment."

TBF I recently watched an 80s vid detailing the machine welding process and QC at Peugeot and was quite impressed how labour intensive it was.
I guess any company is susceptible to QC issues, I just haven't come across many comments against Peugeot before (other than gas pipe tubing etc)

TBF I recently watched an 80s vid detailing the machine welding process and QC at Peugeot and was quite impressed how labour intensive it was.
I guess any company is susceptible to QC issues, I just haven't come across many comments against Peugeot before (other than gas pipe tubing etc)

I think that's right. These big companies were being driven by the bean counters and they were always under pressure to cut costs.

Suit yourself! If it's the first you've heard of it, how do you know it's rubbish?

Maybe he was referring to the comments in the original post/article and just saying that some of them are complete rubbish, eg; everyone dying from them!? 🤔 :)

Back