Cyclocross canti question.

LeonL

Retro Newbie
Hello all. We are rebuilding a old gazelle cross trophy cyclocross bike but ran in a brake problem.

The bike cane with suntour xc pro canti's but they were missing al kind off parts. So I tried a new set of tektro onix and the pads won't go low enough.
Anyone know a alternative for the xc pro's? Preferably not to expensive.
IMG_20240521_094944475.jpg IMG_20240521_095011068.jpg IMG_20240521_095014035.jpg

^ what Guiness said . You might get a better result with a lower profile brake block or if you remove the spacers between the block and the canti arm or reseat it at more than 90 degrees to the cantilever itself . The block prescribes an arc so it'll start to come down as it goes through the arc .

Thanks for the quick replies. They are indeed 700c that's what it had when we got it. But it got al kind of different parts. Suntour brakes and front mech. Campa wheels and shimano rear mech. I try if I can get 27 wheels.

I don’t know whether it takes 700c or 27 1 1/4, but the clearance at the back looks quite tight even with the road tyre you have fitted, so would 27 and a cross tyre fit? Aren’t Gazelles Dutch so more likely to be metric 700c? I’d be tempted to try a different old style cantilever before splashing on new wheels.

(I can send you a pair of Old skool Dia Compe 962s to try if helpful)

Any canti where you can angle the pad posts on a wider range will work. You want a low cost solution check these out.:

And if you want to go super nerdy, check out this Canti angle optomiser site:

Thanks for the quick replies. They are indeed 700c that's what it had when we got it. But it got al kind of different parts. Suntour brakes and front mech. Campa wheels and shimano rear mech. I try if I can get 27 wheels.
I am certain it is not the wheel size. 700c is the correct wheel size. It is the canti studs. Ideal would be to find 70s/80s cantilevers.

Back