Cranked – new mtb print mag due this spring

Re: Re:

al-onestare":3jtsex5p said:
No worries at all, it's a good conversation!

I think the word magazine is potentially the misleading or confusing bit. Indeed the word publication might be better, review or journal. Don't get me wrong it looks and sounds great - and if it's really clear that it's quarterly and so it's more like £4 a month - that's much more digestible.

I do worry that even with the quality of content, print media is still a tough market to work in so having an electronic version would be a sensible additional option and provide some level of comfort for the editor!

Fair points. Don't expect a digital version though! :LOL: Not with the ethos of the magazine..

Re: Re:

al-onestare":2z2kwl6q said:
I think the word magazine is potentially the misleading or confusing bit. Indeed the word publication might be better, review or journal. Don't get me wrong it looks and sounds great - and if it's really clear that it's quarterly and so it's more like £4 a month - that's much more digestible.

Have a look at the website: www.cranked.cc

It's as clear as we can reasonably make it. And a UK sub is £39.50, so it's more like £3.30 a month :D

I do worry that even with the quality of content, print media is still a tough market to work in so having an electronic version would be a sensible additional option and provide some level of comfort for the editor!

Independent print magazines (niche audience, high production values, low advertising content) are the one area of strong growth in consumer print publishing. Digital mags aren't going anywhere in spite of early growth over the past three years or so (from a very low base). They're expensive to produce (cross-platform issues), their perceived value is low and, from a publishing perspective, their value is diminished by the fact that they attract VAT @ 20% (print mags are currently rated at 0%). So they risk becoming a cost to the business, rather than a revenue stream.

For all these rather dull reasons, and plenty more of the more touchy-feely variety, Cranked will remain a print-only publication :D

Re:

Bought a copy of Cranked #1 Tuesday, received it well packed this morning. Nice clean design, nice clear fonts, only 14 ads out of 132 pages, lovely photos and great reading. Sat on the deck for lunch and read it cover to cover. The front cover image reminds me of the Malverns for some reason. Well done chaps, looking forward to #2.

Dillinger":1qawidru said:
Ordered mine a the weekend! Hurry up and post it! =]

All the weekend orders went today. Hard to post on a bank holiday Monday ;) (and anyway, we were out riding...)

Re:

The 'Fatpacking Peru' reminded me of early mountain biking days reading about riding expeditions in remotes parts of the world and not being able to afford to do that myself. Still can't. Great deep saturated photos. Similarly, enjoyed the 'Lost Alps' piece. There's still just about somewhere without the crowds and the insane downhill mob. Great black and white photos in 'Rights of Passage'. Reminds me of when I lived in the Pennines and spent many hours quietly exploring deserted trails and then chancing on a sanctimonious rambler type...

Back