Cotic Soul as my first modern hardtail.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

I'm wanting to get back in the saddle again after long break and thought I'd dip my toe in the 'Modern' hardtail arena. I've been on a few Retro rides with guys who have had the orange and white Cotic Soul bikes and everyone seems to have nothing but good feedback about them. So my question is, would a Cotic Soul be a good bike to use as my Go To cross country hardtail. I have been riding since the 80's and usualy ride something like my Kona Explosif or if I'm feeling really nostalgic a 1988 Rockhopper. I have used many bikes over the years and I admit very few have had front suspension or disk brakes but I feel that aged 54 I should at least give it a try. Still on the subject of the Cotic Soul I can see that a decent second hand one can be bought for around the £500 mark so guys and gals, what do you think?

Another conversation I should start is: I have a 1999 Kona Explosif / Reynolds 853. Should I just have a rear disk brake tab fitted and buy some modern forks and brakes?

Thanks in advance, as ever, for all feedback.

Trebz

a soul would lend itself to a slightly more modern build - longer forks want a longer toptube and short stem, and the geometry is a little different.
We sold quite a lot new - even now people still love them, and if you get a later 26" wheel but 44 head tube you can build a great bike for pin money.

Best leave the kona alone👍

Great bikes, regret selling mine, go for it.

Stanton, Curtis and Sanderson also with looking at, not to forget orange p7s.

Genesis also did a nice steel hardtail around 2016-17 that was very similar to a soul (altitude I think)

You won’t regret it, I’ve got one on 26” wheels with straight steerer RS Revelations and it’s just brilliant, so much fun. If you’re happy with 26” there are real bargains to be had. If you’re a heavier person a BFE can give even better value for money.

Another conversation I should start is: I have a 1999 Kona Explosif / Reynolds 853. Should I just have a rear disk brake tab fitted and buy some modern forks and brakes?

No. You'll struggle to get modern forks to fit that frame and with the geometry of the time it won't suit longer travel. Keep it and enjoy it for what it is. A 26" Soul isn't particularly modern, but in your situation that's probably a good thing as it will ease you into the modern era. Have a couple of friends who've had a few Cotics down the years. Shouldn't cost too much to build, only issue may be getting 26" forks but if you are buying a complete bike that's not much of an issue. Make sure you have a £100-£150 contingency incase the forks need service, brake pads etc as you'll likely have nothing compatible.

Biggest question is what Soul you want, how modern? If you want a really modern bike then the Soul isn’t for you but plenty of people love them and it would certainly be a good bridge between what you are used to and the really up to date stuff.

Might be worth trying something 29” though? Really depends what you want from it as things have changed so much in the last 10/15 years.

Wouldn’t bother changing the Kona, enjoy it for what it is and buy something different. Pace steel hard tails are worth a look, mine is lovely.

I've got my Yellow MK4 I might part with , 27.5 pre longshot geometry but most modern stuff fits , if you want the last of the Souls go for the slightly later longshot ones , bloody brilliant but I tried a Rocket and the comfort on my aging bones made me switch to FS and the 29" on the Flaremax covers distances sooooo well.

I've got my Yellow MK4 I might part with , 27.5 pre longshot geometry but most modern stuff fits , if you want the last of the Souls go for the slightly later longshot ones , bloody brilliant but I tried a Rocket and the comfort on my aging bones made me switch to FS and the 29" on the Flaremax covers distances sooooo well.

Hi there stranger :) Could you PM me some pictures and info on the MK4 please?

Nice to see you again BTW :)

Back