Controversial: show us your cargo bikes

What you don't see is a bolt sitting in the front of the subframe that goes in front of the chainstay bridge. It holds a plate under the chainstay. Two bolts and clamps in the dropouts and that's it

An Ecargo bike was my first choice on the new Ebike, but apart from them being too long for me to store it, i found the distance between the pedals and the beginning of the platform too tight for my clod hoers and i was impacting them with the toe of my boot.

It still love one though.

I just had a look on their website. They don't offer kits anymore, it seems. Sad, as it was an affordable solution, which is why I chose it.

One for sale on Gumtree for £270

A really good idea I think, especially for those of us with the odd 'spare' bike lying around............

I got a BOB Yak cargo specific trailer in the mid 1990s and the thing is still going and going and going. If you are going to use the trailer to haul cargo and not little people, I would highly recommend it over a conversion. It has much better handling, since it attaches on both sides at the rear dropouts and rides on the mid-line of the bike, so it doesn't pull one way or another.

View attachment 613343

You can even attach the child trailer (without child, of course) to the BOB, for even more capacity and even less speed :) (although you probably void every single applicable warranty when you do):

View attachment 613344

On that note, we actually recently just bought a purpose built cargo bike. It's an Urban Arrow, and more aircraft carrier than bike, but it does do its job.
Funnily enough I have just picked up a trailer tonight that is very close to your Bob Yak. I will get a picture up on here in the morning.

I've just picked up an 8Freight in need of resto, going to start a thread on it shortly
I think I saw the ad for that. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Here's my cargo bike. No idea of the make - it's been repainted (badly) a couple of times. Three speed Nexus, rear drum brake, and I replaced the ineffective V-brake on the front with a Magura HS11 which does a good job of hauling up its not-inconsiderable weight.

The barrow is a homemade job that fits two kids easily. The third starts nursery next spring, so I'll have to see how I can accommodate him - probably with a child seat on the back. Good thing there are no hills between here and there :D

52519424635_9e7f6399a3_b.jpg

Back