Confession time.....I'm gravel curious !

I don't live too far from the Alpkit shop at Hathersage so i see a heck'uva lot of Sonder gravel bikes being ridden around the local trails..

They look great, i'd like one.. no need to thank me for this enlightening contribution to the thread

This is my attempt. I had a proper drop bar gravel bike, but sold it thinking I’d get a better one… that was 18 months ago! This one was built up flat bar for shorter, local rides as a stop gap. It is adequate, but I prefer drops for longer rides.

Tyre clearance is tight as it really is a hybrid, that’s only a 35c tyre!
I was just mulling this thread and wondering what I could do with the old Sirrus that’s been sitting at work the last three years and, lo, up you pop and show me the max tyre width right there. I think wider tyres make sense even for London commuting - roads are so bad.

Ive been commuting in Sheff (also terrible roads) for the last 2 years on these 26" Rene Herse Naches Pass gravel tyres

IMG_3084.JPG

run at very low pressure (sub 30) it's like riding on marshmellow clouds ..i ride through student-ville so there's a lot of broken bottles to avoid, in the early morning, when it's dark they're impossible to avoid so i roll over them at low pressure and ive only had one puncture in 2yrs, compared to my neighbours many, doing the same commute on his high pressure road tyres.

Last edited:
Ive been commuting in Sheff (also terrible roads) for the last 2 years on these 26" Rene Herse Naches Pass gravel tyres

View attachment 587565

run at very low pressure (sub 30) it's like riding on marshmellow clouds ..i ride through student-ville so there's a lot of broken bottles to avoid, in the early morning, when it's dark they're impossible to avoid so i roll over them at low pressure and ive only had one puncture in 2yrs, compared to my neighbours many, doing the same commute on his high pressure road tyres.
FEE90F8C-4299-4BF1-AC12-30D5F8E7BC58.jpeg Nice naches with the amber walls. I’m using my daughters stumpie on dry days: 2.1 Billy Bonkers = velvet-lined marshmallows!

I was just mulling this thread and wondering what I could do with the old Sirrus that’s been sitting at work the last three years and, lo, up you pop and show me the max tyre width right there. I think wider tyres make sense even for London commuting - roads are so bad.

Yeah…. I had to very carefully dish the wheel to get that tyre central in the chainstays!

Hang on,.....so if a gravel bike is just a big late 80s mtb or possibly a passable quality hybrid......why are they so expensive?

Is it a " hipster beard" single speed, real deal steel, boutique bikes.........hummmmmm, looks like an old Claud Butler with with a brass bell and a latte holder to me..... type thing.

Here is my home built gravel bike. It’s a 1970s Panasonic touring frame and fork with chain stay dimpling to accept 700c x 38 tires. Triple chainrings and 7 speed mega range. Home built wheels using 29er Weinmann rims. Rivet nuts for the frame bottle mount. I’ve had a total 340 pounds on it (bike weight, pack weight and rider) wilderness adventure riding and camping. With the 24 x 34 low gearing I can climb long pretty steep hills with all that weight. The drop handle bars are a must for 10 hour rides as you have a lot of hand positions. A mountain bike stem keeps me upright when I ride the top. It’s got brake lever shifting and cyclocross top brake mounts. Homemade custom fit luggage racks made by bolting and welding old racks and flat stock. I’ve gravel raced it 100 km. I even do a little blue trail mountain biking with it. I have ridden 50 mile road pavement rides in the spring on it. It does everything pretty well. If I was limited to one bike, this is it. image.jpg

Attachments

• 436FF7FD-2978-4D3C-9183-E333F36FB5AA.jpeg
    436FF7FD-2978-4D3C-9183-E333F36FB5AA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 698D4377-5FA8-4A3B-9A82-E77D074AD1E1.jpeg
    698D4377-5FA8-4A3B-9A82-E77D074AD1E1.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 13
  • CCC30ACF-0080-4D4C-B50F-84509DEF0949.jpeg
    CCC30ACF-0080-4D4C-B50F-84509DEF0949.jpeg
    532.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Latest posts