Compact/close ratio 7 speed cassettes?

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I wanted to know why you know longer see any compact/close ratio 7 speed cassettes anymore? You know like the type fitted to racers back in the day.

Does anyone know the closest thing to one of those being produced today?

I've had to resort to using a CS HG41 which I think is mtb specific but I've had to go down to a 52 - 39T front crankset and wanted to get a smaller cassette to keep the speed up

Why is my choice so limited, are Shimano trying to phase out 7s completely?

The biggest sprocket is 28t but it's a lot bigger than these older units, how many teeth would those have had?

Thanks

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Because few people use them anymore, everything is 10+ speed.
Even 9 speed are getting harder art he very top end.
8 mid range stuff and 7 is bottom end stuff.
So why make what they are not going to make some money on?

Even Sunrace only do 1 MTB one.

You could buy 8 speed and drop the top and use the old spacers?

Re:

I have a brand new in box 7 speed Shimano hyperglide one 12-21.
£15 uk posted if it's of any interest

Re:

Thanks for your replies, it just seems a shame that nobody is catering for riders that liked using a 2x7 transmission on a racer, I like the simplicity of it, it's what I got back into cycling on four years ago.
I like the idea of customising and eight speed cassette, is that a very easy thing to do then?

I can see where they are coming from and I can get get the the most out of a CS HG41 I just miss going really flat out when I've got it in my legs and lungs.

Going back to freewheels would give you customisable options or strip the cassettes and re rivet them.

Back