BoTM Coming soon....... Bike of the Month May 2021 - Sponsored by Terra One Tyres

Bike of The Month
Big BoTM news for May 2021......the competition will be sponsored by Terra One Tyres and, to follow the design remit of the Rider T1 tyre, the theme will simply be "1988 or earlier" For this month only, previous competition winners and bikes that have already entered in a normal, and/or special month may be entered again.

For those who don't already know, the man behind saving your vintage show rubber, and Terra One Tyres, is Retrobike member @thekidmalone, aka Terrance. Terrance has worked hard to produce these RIDER T1 tyres and has welcomed continued interaction with the Retro/Vintage MTB community to ensure his product fits the bill. Terrance is currently working on developing new products, so keep an eye out for more information in the coming months.

Here's a little bit of information from the horse's mouth:

"Much like the RetroBike forum, Terra One aims to help fellow enthusiasts preserve history, build community, and ride more frequently. Our RIDER T1, a new, 26 x 2.125" tyre for our original off-road legends, is the first Terra One product which contributes to these goals.
Whilst its large air volume, chunky tread blocks and beige sidewalls remind us of the leading tyre designs from mountain biking's formative years, modern specifications like the supple, 120TPI casing, folding beads and dual compound tread rubber provide levels of performance & confidence that simply weren't available back then.
In a May 2021 BOTM in honour of the first decade of our favourite pastime, Terra One will award the following prizes for the top voted mountain bikes from 1988 and earlier:

BoTM winner: One pair of Terra One RIDER T1 tyres
3759D3E6-15F3-4686-B462-E22B61C204DA.jpeg
A8C6BD5C-2355-4BDD-AB52-F51436E35CDE.jpeg

Seen here on @al's BoTM winning Schwinn Cimarron
A9E20BB5-5BE3-42CC-B32A-F33FF4B0EE88.jpeg

Silver: One Terra One hoodie, printed in the UK by our friends at Bike Ninja
39E3F616-17CA-48E7-BEFB-2DF46BAC8527.jpeg
0F289F0E-DF3F-4787-8D3F-1AF1D13D5C63.jpeg

Bronze: One Terra One T-shirt, printed in the UK by our friends at Bike Ninja
671A0F17-223F-49FE-A898-49F81A27A739.jpeg
0A657959-97D2-4013-9CDB-81C98C621CDA.jpeg

So, shine up your finest early, eligible example now, and join the fun next month!"

In the meantime check out Terra One products on their website here, at Bike Ninja here and at Terra One's Australian reseller Bikes & Stuff here

Last edited:
Handsome tyre, really looking forward to a thinner one as I've got 4 pre 1989 bikes that all could do with sets that are less than 2"

I have what I believe is an 86 Peugeot Orient Express with beautiful lugged Tange tubing. It has all the right 86 parts except mine has a sling shot gooseneck instead of the straight one shown in the 86 brochure. Granted, that could have been an add on except that about five years ago there was another one in town and it had the same gooseneck. I think 85 had the sling shot but the brakes and pedals are way different than mine. Perhaps Peugeot used some parts from 85 on some from 86? No other year is as close so I’m pretty sure it’s an 86. I still ride it occasionally on single track. It’s been used a lot so finish wise it’s a maggot. I’m considering entering it, but it isn’t pretty as all the entries here seem to be. If they are used as intended they don’t stay pretty for long so what’s the point? I probably won’t even take off the trail mud for a photo if I decide to enter. would such a notion be taboo here? Thanks for any opinion.

I have what I believe is an 86 Peugeot Orient Express with beautiful lugged Tange tubing. It has all the right 86 parts except mine has a sling shot gooseneck instead of the straight one shown in the 86 brochure. Granted, that could have been an add on except that about five years ago there was another one in town and it had the same gooseneck. I think 85 had the sling shot but the brakes and pedals are way different than mine. Perhaps Peugeot used some parts from 85 on some from 86? No other year is as close so I’m pretty sure it’s an 86. I still ride it occasionally on single track. It’s been used a lot so finish wise it’s a maggot. I’m considering entering it, but it isn’t pretty as all the entries here seem to be. If they are used as intended they don’t stay pretty for long so what’s the point? I probably won’t even take off the trail mud for a photo if I decide to enter. would such a notion be taboo here? Thanks for any opinion.

Plenty of people prefer to see a nice bike being used properly and covered in mud, over a shiny garage queen

Bung it in. What's the worse that can happen?!

Plenty of people ride their bikes and wash them 😁

Plenty of people ride their bikes and wash them 😁
I can’t right now, it’s -4 C with 40 km/hr winds and snowing. My hose is still stored. I usually let my bikes dry and brush them off. I seldom use water and a hose. Most mountain bikers here don’t wash, they brush. We have red dirt from iron with a lot of iron mines and nothing takes the pink iron stain off your riding apparel. You wear red or brown or other colors if you don’t mind pink splotches. The folks from the city use the cleaning stations, but the locals usually don’t use them. The result is your bike always looks grimy as the red wet dust penetrates into everything. Sometimes I feel it’s unfair having to put up with a continental climate. We are located an the same longitude as southern France or northern Italy. Monty Don is planting stuff on my Tele. last year at this time it looked like this here. We still had snow in the woods the last week of May. 77C74EE5-34C7-4AA2-AEE8-F31B49478E0C.jpeg

Back