Columbus SPX... any opinions?

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anyone the oracle of knowledge on columbus tubes?

Looking at a spx tubed bike. Internet suggest it was for large (58cm) frames and larger, but assume it was still pretty good quality?

Anyone ride on built on it to report?

Thanks!

Re:

Like SLX but thicker walled, stronger tubes for larger frames as you say. Sorry not tall enough to be able to ride 'gates'

Re: pigs might fly

Any of the Columbus tubeset with SP in the name{SPX,SP}were known as 'SuperPig'as were a heavier guage of SL\SLX so the SPX would have the internal spirals etc of SLX,fairly rare but Zullo in Italy swore by it

Re:

I have an Rossin Ghibli from around 1988 in SPX tubes, 61 cm frame, its a heavy bike, around 9,8 kg ready to go with Campa Chrous/Record C mix. Its a very good frame.

I've got an SPX-tubed track bike - built by Banani of Copenhagen and AFAIK pretty much the same specs as the Six-Days frame he built for Danny Clark.

I'm only a little lad of 1m72 and 75kg and it is STIFF.... In terms of comfort and weight it's like a Columbus Gara bike.

Can imagine it would solve a lot of the flex and shimmy issues that go with larger size frames.... but I wouldn't want to ride more than to the shops on it - which is what I use it for TBH.....

Re:

are you specifically looking for one? i sold my old eddy merckx (SLX) and bought a TvT carbon fibre and the difference is like night and day!! the eddy, whilst comfortable, was sluggish and heavy. this thing goes like the wind!! :cool:

mind you, it probably helps that i've lost over a stone since!!

:oops:

:D

Re:

I was looking at an Olmo. But since decided against it.

Interesting to know though, appreciate your input all.

Re:

i can't praise the TvT highly enough . .these two were the first to bring it to the attention of the public in '86, delgado won the '88 tour de france on one, lemond did likewise in '89 and '90 and indurain carried the mantle from then on . . what a frame indeed!

oh ok, any excuse to post great retro racing photos like these!!

;)

:cool:

Re:

Rusty
Love the 89 Worlds photo, I hadn't seen that one before and your right its good to get these photos up here! I know they are going pretty fast in that sprint, but the body language between Rooks and Kelly just doesn't look good. :?

Have you posted any photos of your TVT up here yet?

Regards,

Pat

Back