Cleanup lubrication for Shimano Deore XT Rapid Fire

jouleskeys

Retro Newbie
It's come to that time where my gears are sticking and would like some recommendations on giving them a good clean. My bike is a 1990 Diamond Back Axis and I'm located in London UK, and have heard that spraying these shifters with air following WD-40 is good to stop buildup of sludge, then follow up with something else. Any ideas on this I'm all ears. Many thanks and appreciated!

Take off the lower cover and clean with degreaser rather than WD-40.
WD-40 is a water displacer and doesn't really do the job of degreasing properly.
A very gentle scrub with a toothbrush helps too.

Dry it, then apply light grease to the moving parts.

Its usually the little release rocker thingy which is gummed up. GT85 and a small pick sort it. Keep clicking through gears with cable removed and spraying and it’ll work. Old Shimano bits never die

Its usually the little release rocker thingy which is gummed up. GT85 and a small pick sort it. Keep clicking through gears with cable removed and spraying and it’ll work. Old Shimano bits never die
With that age RapidFire two of the pawls are internal. You need to blast with sprays if you don't wish to take it apart.

--------
Depending on how much Grime..
WD40 or GT85 or similar will clear most of it up as a spray, if you have it.
(maybe add a wash in there too and then displace and dry)

Then use a spray lube/light grease or light oil/silicone spray on everything. Soak it, work I in.
Dab some 'grease' on the exposed.

Click it lots of time to work it in.
That's the quick and get it working method with no tools.

Or take it apart, clean it up in an ultrasonic and lube as you assemble.

Thanks @drystonepaul . Any suggestions on products names that would do the trick? Thank you again
Swarfega Jizer Bio is a good degreaser.
SG85 Teflon spray grease is a good thin grease.

The point I was making is that, while often recommended by many, just spraying the shifter mechanism with WD-40 doesn't always resolve the problem.
It can alleviate the symptoms, but not always cure the issue.

As an important side note: Do not use White Spirit as a degreaser. The plastic on Shimano shifters does not like White Spirit.

Latest posts

Back