Classic British Bicycles (200 makers mapped!)

More exactly - ALVES Bikes - Charlie Ralph was a very good framebuilder. Sadly he's stopped building - for the moment.... He last lived near Elgin in Scotland (ELGIN SPRINGS, LONGMORN, NR. ELGIN, MORAY, IV30 3RJ.) located on south road out of Elgin towards Granton. Believed to have married in Elgin in 2017 and then moved out to live and work in Angola in Africa. His Bikes tended to be built for local conditions in the Highlands and Spey Valley, so by their very nature are built to hit rocks and take a real hammering. We believe he first lived/worked earlier at near the village of Alves, Near East of Elgin..... ... and we believe that Charlie originally made frames for Pat Rohan Cycles in Rayners Lane in West London.

Last edited:
What about DAVE DAVEY Bikes? I've still got a very rare Reynolds 531 tubed DAVE DAVEY time trial racing bike still in regular use.

Dave Davey worked for Claud Butler Bikes until they went into liquidation during 1956/57. Thereafter he traded for himself at 7 Wordsworth Parade (near Turnpike Lane tube station) in London. His bikes were built by Bill Grey and Bill Hurlow. It is believed that my frame was most likely to have been built by Bill Grey, who had also worked for Claud Butler in London.

The bike was originally dark green and owned by an unknown member of Enfield Road / Cycle Club, (possibly a Mike or Steven Topp or Potts??) who relocated to Aberdeen in the late 1960’s. I acquired it late 1974 and it then sat in my garage for some decades and it was used for TT’s in late 1990’s and early 2000’s

Attachments

• ADD05.jpg
    ADD05.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1DD02.jpg
    1DD02.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 4
Back