Canti brake bosses missing - what do I need?

I made a load of canti 'studs' for Bontragers years ago. They are just a sleeve that goes over the canti bolt with no thread.
The one on the right is same as the ones I made. Let me know if you need any, from memory they are 6 pounds each. I thinkvthey are stainless 303.

Thread here about it:

1618599288763.png

Last edited:
Got to agree with all the clever guys in this thread, the sleeves are stuck inside the brake you took off. Tri-aligns DONT fix directly to the stubs, they sit on a hollow sleeve specific to Bontrager (I had this combination of frame and brake). Bontrager frames don’t use standard thread in bosses, the ‘boss‘ is the hollow sleeve that is shown above in rampages post. This is then held in place with the extra long bolt that threads through the brake and into the threaded stub in the frame.

(point to note, save the bolts that were used to attach your old brakes, those bolts are Bontrager bolts and you won’t be able to fix your new brakes on without them)

Thanks all for your help. I found the collars inside the only one pair of the removed TriAligns, so they must be the rears. They are as shown in the Avid parts diagram, so surely are part of the TriAligns, rather than being a part supplied with the bike? I have a good stock of steel and ti bolts, so won't be short of a suitable fitting. I'm still wondering how I will adjust the tension of the V brakes though, there being only one spring hole for each brake. The bike is elsewhere during the week, so I'll have a fiddle on Monday and see what I can do.

I'll see how I get on with the salvaged part from the old TriAligns first, but many thanks for this offer.

I made a load of canti 'studs' for Bontragers years ago. They are just a sleeve that goes over the canti bolt with no thread.
The one on the right is same as the ones I made. Let me know if you need any, from memory they are 6 pounds each. I thinkvthey are stainless 303.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes and show some more pictures! (I, for one, have recently fallen in love with Bontragers:))

save the bolts that were used to attach your old brakes, those bolts are Bontrager bolts and you won’t be able to fix your new brakes on without them

Surely Synlos' studs are the simpler option?
Presumably when you decide to change your brakes etc they stay where they're supposed to and don't get lost.

From......
IMG_5881.JPG

to.....
IMG_5882.JPG

Last edited:
Far simpler option but since when is retro about simpler? Factory is sleeves and why buy new studs when the original sleeves are still there, bit of a waste of money.

There's lots of stuff that is factory - doesn't necessarily mean it's good - but in KB's case most was.
But I put it to you - that if your frame arrived without bolts and sleeves - then the bosses are a worthwhile option.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes and show some more pictures! (I, for one, have recently fallen in love with Bontragers:))

Will do. Plan B will be those studs, because they are an elegant solution. I have a couple of other Bonties. I too fell in love with the bikes at the time, and never found anything I liked better.

Once again, thank you for all of your advice. I used the collar from the TriAligns along with a longer bolt from my spares.

Here's my version of an exploded diagram showing the parts used.

IMG_20210419_185305091.jpg

Back