Cannondale identification help - blue Volvo CAAD4

chrzanek

Dirt Disciple
Hey,

recently I bought Cannondale CAAD4 in Cannondale Volvo team colours. I thought it will be easy to figure out which model it is... no, it isn't, at least for me..

Short spec of the bike:
- Fatty SL
- CAAD4 frame
- frame and headshock for disc only (no pivots and cable routes)
- frame has weird cable routing for rear disc brake, it is on the top of the top tube, and have two specific grommets.

My doubts come from this:
- 99 frames had pivots
- 00 frames had different rear disc brake routing

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 12.40.23.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 12.40.23.png
    635.1 KB · Views: 524
Re:

2001 Cannondale F700

Got exactly the same bike here -

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=397449

Ditched the Coda hubs and Magura Julie disc brakes as the were rubbish and impossible to get spares for. The discs/ hubs are 4-bolt which means nothing else off the shelf is compatible.
Rebuilt the wheels myself = Mavic 321’s on Gold Novatech hubs with black spokes from eBay. New rotors/callipers/ disc adapter/ shimano Deore levers - pre bled box set. Saved loads of hassle.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

It's a bit different than yours. This has Shimano XT disc brakes (M755), 6 bolt Coda hubs and different rear brake cable routing. And it has Fatty SL not Fatty Super.

characteristics that are complied with production in '99:
- rear brake cable routing
- it has Fatty SL installed. Fatty SL production was terminated in '99 (I'm not sure)

characteristics which aren't complied with '99 production:
- all frames I've seen produced in 99 had rim brake pivots as far as fatty's

characteristics that are complied with production in '00:
- brakes were introduced on the marked in '00 (it could be modified by the dealer)
- 6 bolts Coda hubs
- no rim brakes pivots

- cable routing is different than in '00 frames
- I think in '00 there wasn't Fatty SL, only Ultra and DL

I had the 99.5 F3000 Disc:

Caad 4 disc only frame

XT/ Yellow Sachs Wavey

Coda Tarantula cranks

Mavic Crossmax

SL fork

Coda discs

Volvo colour scheme

Volvo saddle

IRC tyres

Thanks @legrandefromage. Thank you very much. I think we have it. Mine has bit different gear but it might be a dealer job.

The bike I had was the shops demo bike, it had never turned a wheel so got it at a huge discount when the year 2000 models came out. I have never seen another one since.

The original Coda hydraulic brakes were AWFUL!! Should have got some Hope fitted straight away.

Re:

Spec & colour-wise it's a 2001 F700, but with mongrel V-brake cable stops to the top tube, hence the additional hose adapters.

Re:

Looks like something in between. Main Cannondale double logo is from 99. It has closed "c" There was a logo redesign from 99 to 00. Seems they were doing a lot of weird inbetween models. If you remember those NOS cannondale frames that poped up on ebay while ago.. some of them were also quite diferent from catalogue.
I doubt its 2001. Looks to me as disc specific 2000 CAD4 frame fited with last years decals that they still had and didnt want to throw out.

Re:

Thank you for comments.

I checked the serial number, it states: JG -> 1998 / July.
Do you know whether it is possible to decode more information from the serial number?

Logo, it has double C logo, as per vintagecannondale.com used from 1997 till 1999.
I'm wondering if it is a demo bike...

Back