Building my first bike - choosing the right components

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
+1 Couldn't get along with compacts either. There's definitely a place still for road triples.

Ugo51

Retro Guru
The main disadvantage with an MTB chianset is that the q-factor is rather wide as it has to clear wide chainstays. Personally I try to minimise it and would go for a road triple.
Perhaps the neatest way is with a tripleiser ring, which fits on a double chainset's inner ring and takes the granny. Then nobody need know your dirty secret!

I have run a 12-23 with 30/39/48 triple with a short cage rear mech no trouble and still allowing big-big (essential to avoid wrecking the lot inadvertently). I dislike a compact as the 34T is on the small side for most duties and the jump to 48 is large.

This is a good point actually.
I had a look at the crankset again, and it's marked LC M500, so I am no longer sure whether it is the same as the 500LX, or we are talking about two different cranks. I'll measure the Q factor one of these days. I never ran that crankset on any bike, it's always been sitting in a box, so I don't know how it fits.
Otherwise, I'll get myself an older Tiagra/105 crankset (a few weeks ago there was a beautiful vintage Ultegra for sale on ebay, but I was too stingy and lost the auction...)

pigman

Old School Grand Master
To those who say they cant get on with compacts, I too was like that at first, but they are ridden differently. With a standard chainset, you tend to ride on the 39 or 42 mostly and use the outer ring for fast work. With a compact, you ride the outer ring mostly and use the inner only for those meaty hills.

What puts me off standard chainsets is that modern cassettes all start with a 11 or 12 sprocket, so coupled with a 52-or 53, im carrying a couple of gears that never get used. The last time I needed something bigger than 48x12 was descending into Bourg from the Galibier

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Oh definitely, the triple makes only sense to extend the range toward lower gears, not higher.
A 50-11 is plenty, at least for my use.
On my commuting bike I have a 46T outer, and I rarely if ever use the 46-11 combination.

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Would a rear derailleur made for 7 speed cassette (specifically a RDA550) have enough lateral movement to cover the width of a 8/9 speed cassette?