boy"O"boy's 1991 TREK 8700 PRO COMPOSITE

Re:

Yes I see your predicament. Did cooks make a compact version of their cranks?

Even if you swapped the outer ring for say 42, 44t would It clear? Does middle
Have same clearance issue?

For me, DX would suffice. But the cooks look good.

What to do.

Re:

If the Cooks cranks were on any other frame - what BB length would be expected?

Retro Spud - cheers for the velocals link, I could do with a new chain stay protector for my 8000 :)

Re: Re:

marc two tone":1vohzocn said:
Yes I see your predicament. Did cooks make a compact version of their cranks?

Even if you swapped the outer ring for say 42, 44t would It clear? Does middle
Have same clearance issue?

For me, DX would suffice. But the cooks look good.

What to do.

Suppose it's a nice dilemma to have really! It works perfectly well with the DX cranks.. but I always wanted Cooks BITD but never had that sort of money. Now I've got a nice, usuable pair, I'd like to ride them to see what all the hype is about.
I think the 140mm axle will solve the problem, but it just seemed like an extreme measure for a flight of fancy. A couple of my bikes have these 'unusual foibles' - suppose part of the fun is doing the research and finding what works...even if it can be frustrating at times!

Retro Spud":1vohzocn said:
if you want to lose the tatty Function Specific design chain stay decal (mine was shot) Velocal sell them

https://velocals.com/trek-chain-stay-pr ... ic-design/

best of all its below import duty and comes in regular post

Cheers Retro spud. Been following your 8900 with great interest.... as peachy mentioned on repaints, may do a few experiments to recreate the 'spidering' before I'd look at a repaint on this. I've used Velocals for the Pine mountain browning resto, they are great quality.... might even order a few chain stay protectors. Do they also do the Matrix equipped one? ( just out of interest of course! )

retrobikeguy":1vohzocn said:
Sugino XP was standard on these, they were pretty light too

DX Looks nice though

Cheers RBG.
That's good to know. Thank you.

Agree on the DX ..... but as I've got these cooks, I want to give them a go. Something about the 1990 Trek 8900 spec floats my boat! - this is a halfway house, but i can already see myself veering away from original spec...even though original spec parts are in the cache too!

Once A Hero":1vohzocn said:
If the Cooks cranks were on any other frame - what BB length would be expected?

Retro Spud - cheers for the velocals link, I could do with a new chain stay protector for my 8000 :)

Good question Pete. This is why I'm thinking along the lines that the 1990 Trek 8900 must have used a really long bottom bracket spindle... another one of these perhaps unique to top end spec things?
For reference, I can't guarantee that all Cooks cranks will go along these lines and every manufacturer will be doing something different!....... but if I put these very same cranks on the Klein ( I have another pair much nicer for this) the bottom bracket spindle is 125mm...... and the chain set fits perfectly with no need for a smaller outer chain ring and has plenty of chain stay clearance.

As always..... here's some pics and the digital calipers out of the box again! :LOL:

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• phpFAqn60PM.jpg
    phpFAqn60PM.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 664
  • phpVYRcZ6PM.jpg
    phpVYRcZ6PM.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 664
  • phptxZ07FPM.jpg
    phptxZ07FPM.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 664
Re:

Hi all.

So, finally managed to get the cooks cranks fitted after quite a bit of trial and error.
From my last post,The stronglight bottom bracket axle was still too short for the chainset to clear the chainstays when fitted, so I was awaiting a 140mm Campagnolo one to arrive from the US.
I wasn't sure how it would match the cups of the stronglight, but didn't have a lot of choice when it came to brand as there isn't much available. :? - but it went in OK.

Will need to test ride these to see what they're like.... the DX may go back on if they seem too fragile! If they remain, I think black chain rings would aesthetically look better. Suntour XC pro thumb shifters and mechs are probably the next on the swap over list, but in the meantime- ride and enjoy. ;)

Here's some pics.... and another outing for the digital calipers!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• phpWCrtxEPM.jpg
    phpWCrtxEPM.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 569
  • php2QDSy0PM.jpg
    php2QDSy0PM.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 567
  • phpmJgaO9PM.jpg
    phpmJgaO9PM.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 565
  • phpGGd0KiPM.jpg
    phpGGd0KiPM.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 568
Re: Re:

boy"O"boy":1vd2pc8l said:
Will need to test ride these to see what they're like.... the DX may go back on if they seem too fragile! If they remain, I think black chain rings would aesthetically look better. Suntour XC pro thumb shifters and mechs are probably the next on the swap over list, but in the meantime- ride and enjoy. ;)

Hi all.

Firstly, thanks to all that voted the 8700 as August 2020's BOTM.
I was also chuffed that this got a few BOTY votes against some big players. Thank you to all that voted. :cool:

So, after a couple of outings on the Cook's, it soon became aparent that although the bottom bracket axle was now the correct length, the tapers weren't a good match for the Cooks. The non-drive side was continually working loose. So, I've reverted to catalogue spec and gone Suntour XC Pro (non-micro drive) Chainset and Mechs. I've also added XC pro thumbies and Dia compe SS5 levers. The only part I'm missing now are the Dia Compe 986 cantilevers.
I'm still running the DX canti's for the time being until I find these brakes. The grips have also been changed out for Odi attacks.
Also replaced the tatty Chainstay protector with one from Velo decals. Unfortunately, when I applied it - it turned out to be grey rather than black that I thought I'd ordered. It looked black through the application paper, so when it was revealed as grey, I was slightly gutted. Awaiting a correct colour replacement but for the time being, I'll keep this in place.
Rides really nice and with the added benefit of no longer having to attach the child seat as the youngest has out grown it now!

Any leads on black 986's greatly appreciated.

Here's where I'm at the moment.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Trek 8700 XC pro 4.jpg
    Trek 8700 XC pro 4.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 375
  • Trek 8700 XC pro 3.jpg
    Trek 8700 XC pro 3.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 375
  • Trek 8700 XC pro 2.jpg
    Trek 8700 XC pro 2.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 374
  • Trek 8700 XC pro 1.jpg
    Trek 8700 XC pro 1.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 375
So pleased to see how this has come on, it was seeing this originally that started me itching to get the Trek 7000 completed, and that too raised some serious BB questions. Great to see the crankset on, I didn’t know that you could get 140+!

Back