boy"O"boy's 1991 TREK 8700 PRO COMPOSITE

Jaggs":3m8l0gzy said:
I liked this so much, I've gone and bought a 1991 Trek 7000 frame. Which will probably end in divorce.

Nice! :cool: - Make sure you add a build thread with pics before you sell it for the divorce settlement!

retrobikeguy":3m8l0gzy said:
You are right XT...... But they are DX thumbies I'm sure, it's weird that they thought we wouldnt question the use of a Shimano equipped bike in the pictures but the review of a suntour equipped bike.

Just scored some XC Pro thumbies, so it's probably going to veer towards original spec eventually. Now running correct hubs and rims.... and a 134mm bottom bracket on the way to give the Cook Bros Racing cranks a try.
Deore DX is one of my favourite groupsets though.... works really well on this, the Killi Flyer, and the Pine Mountain.

jimwise68":3m8l0gzy said:
Have to say wasn't really digging the look of the frame and forks on their own. But that looks lovely built up :cool:

Cheers Jim. I'll bring this with me the next time I'm Colchester way, and we'll try to get a ride organised as mentioned in another thread!

As promised, here's some more pics of progress. I've added some more detail pics....these are the best ones I've taken so far that are nearest to showing the 'real' colour. It's one of those colours that doesn't capture well with a camera phone. Even the pics in the magazine article make it look 'red' :?

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Trek Cooks cranks.jpg
    Trek Cooks cranks.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 1,186
  • trek bottom bracket remove.jpg
    trek bottom bracket remove.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 1,186
  • trek bottom bracket detail.jpg
    trek bottom bracket detail.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 1,186
Re:

more pics....

Attachments

• Bullseye rear Hub.jpg
    Bullseye rear Hub.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Bullseye Frt Hub.jpg
    Bullseye Frt Hub.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1,184
  • matrix rim.jpg
    matrix rim.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 1,184
  • trek cable detail.jpg
    trek cable detail.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,184
  • trek seat stay detail 2.jpg
    trek seat stay detail 2.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 1,184
  • trek seat stay detail.jpg
    trek seat stay detail.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,184
Re:

more pics

Attachments

• trek chainstay2.jpg
    trek chainstay2.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 1,182
  • trek chainstay.jpg
    trek chainstay.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,182
  • trek head tube detail.jpg
    trek head tube detail.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,182
  • trek fork detail.jpg
    trek fork detail.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,182
  • trek bottom bracket detail.jpg
    trek bottom bracket detail.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 1,182
Re:

Final pics...... for now anyway!

Attachments

• trek 8700 pic 3.jpg
    trek 8700 pic 3.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 1,187
  • trek 8700 pic 2.jpg
    trek 8700 pic 2.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 1,187
  • trek 8700 pic 1.jpg
    trek 8700 pic 1.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 1,187
I managed to find the tech manual for the Trek series, not sure if this is useful to you?

Superb looking bike.

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":298durr8 said:
Very nice and although it's not the original group set still have to consider the following year they specced Deore DX on the 8700 so Trek must have been confident it was a competent groupset for this quality of frame, I remember York cycleworks having a team bike with DX..... Following years colours were a bit boring though.

Wierd eh, back end says TEAM YORK CYCLEWORKS

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Retro-1 ... Sw6fle6OtL

s-l1600.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

retrobikeguy":29to4dfa said:
retrobikeguy":29to4dfa said:
Very nice and although it's not the original group set still have to consider the following year they specced Deore DX on the 8700 so Trek must have been confident it was a competent groupset for this quality of frame, I remember York cycleworks having a team bike with DX..... Following years colours were a bit boring though.

Wierd eh, back end says TEAM YORK CYCLEWORKS

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Retro-1 ... Sw6fle6OtL

s-l1600.jpg

Cheers RGB. :cool:
With that TEAM YORK CYCLEWORKS on the rear stays, I'm sure I've seen a similar large frame in an MBUK/ MBi article? It was about small independent innovators- Pete Tomkins rings a bell? - although it could have been another article with another tall rider John H....??? Who was a sponsored rider. I'll see if I can dig it out and get a scan.

Been looking at the 1990 Trek 8900 more and more!? - do i need a second?
Aesthetically they look great. Enjoying how the 8700 rides, hopefully it'll be next years Mayhem rider.

Jaggs":29to4dfa said:
I managed to find the tech manual for the Trek series, not sure if this is useful to you?

Superb looking bike.

Thanks Jaggs.
Feel free to post the tech manual here if you like. Always good to have a thread that acts as a resource to other owners/ potential owners / those looking for advice on similar era Treks.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nice, i think black cranks will work, be interesting to see what the Cooks look like on, i will keep an eye out for a bb for you. And that's a nice looking wheelset too.

What is the deal with the rear cable stop? is that original and why does it need to bolt on/off?

Re: Re:

boy"O"boy":1penr0zv said:
With that TEAM YORK CYCLEWORKS on the rear stays, I'm sure I've seen a similar large frame in an MBUK/ MBi article? It was about small independent innovators- Pete Tomkins rings a bell?

Thats the one, they had it for sale outside the front of the shop for a while when it was retired, didnt even clean it :LOL:

mk one":28qq6jkh said:
Nice, i think black cranks will work, be interesting to see what the Cooks look like on, i will keep an eye out for a bb for you. And that's a nice looking wheelset too.

What is the deal with the rear cable stop? is that original and why does it need to bolt on/off?

Thanks Mark.
The wheelset is such a nice feature of the original spec. A massive thank you to Retrorider_IT again for selling these to me..... and I get to keep my other set for the Klein. Fortunately they also came with the 143mm rear axle that allows you to run the 135mm rear spacing.

The Cooks cranks have been more of a hassle - I'll detail this below. :facepalm:

The rear cable stop (and cantilever mounts) are all held on with Allen bolts. I think this is because the cast aluminium lugs would have been too difficult to release from the mould if they were made with those parts attached? - perhaps it gives more space to bond the carbon to the lugs and add them afterwards?
Either way, it's a neat solution and the seat stays and Chain stays have loads of tyre clearance.

It's that same tyre clearance on the chainstays which has lead to my next problem...

Installing the Cooks cranks.

Currently, the set up is running Deore DX cranks with a 127.5mm UN54 bottom bracket. This leaves about 8mm of clearance to the chain stay. Not a problem, but slightly big on the gap. I decide instead to purchase a 122.5mm UN54 and run that to close the gap and reduce the risk of chain suck.... which has obviously been an issue previously judging by the damage in that area.

Runs well, but decide those Cook's Cranks would look ace and want to give them a try.
Bottom bracket must be the same as the Deore DX ones run right?

No. :facepalm:
i) 122.5mm bottom bracket doesn't work.

ii) Decide to re install 127.5mm bottom bracket..... that doesn't work either.

iii) Look for 132mm Sealed Type bottom bracket, Shimano/Suntour/Similar. Nothing available.

iv) Spot a Stronglight 134mm Cup and Axle type bottom bracket on eBay and purchase. Item coming from Poland so expect slightly longer on postage.

v) Busy few weeks at work mean although I've now got the Bottom bracket, I don't get to try fitting it until the weekend.

vi) Install. Bugger. :facepalm: 134mm still isn't long enough!

vii) Purchase 140mm Campagnolo axle from US. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Am I doing something wrong or do Cooks cranks take a ridiculously long axle? - 140mm is more than the axle spacing on the rear!!
Is it just one of those things that Trek specced something really weird on their Carbon bikes?
The massive tyre clearance on the chainstay is the main cause but didn't the 1990 model year 8900 Composite also come with Matrix/Cooks as original spec?
Is there something different between earlier and later Cooks cranks other than arm profiles?

I'm sure an expert would know. :roll:

retrobikeguy":28qq6jkh said:
boy"O"boy":28qq6jkh said:
With that TEAM YORK CYCLEWORKS on the rear stays, I'm sure I've seen a similar large frame in an MBUK/ MBi article? It was about small independent innovators- Pete Tomkins rings a bell?

Thats the one, they had it for sale outside the front of the shop for a while when it was retired, didnt even clean it :LOL:

Still looking for the article! - Will scan it once I find it!

Here's some pics showing clearances with Cooks and Stronglight vs Deore DX and UN54 122.5mm

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• trek 9700 w-cooks7.jpg
    trek 9700 w-cooks7.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 714
  • trek 9700 w-cooks6.jpg
    trek 9700 w-cooks6.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 714
  • trek 9700 w-cooks5.jpg
    trek 9700 w-cooks5.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 714