boy"O"boy's 1991 Raleigh Dynatech Odyssey

Peachy!":2b14grq5 said:
Just checking.... did you compare the colour swatches outside in some sunlight? ‘Cause that’s where you going to get judged!

Certainly did Peachy. Was easier to photograph the swatches and frame inside, but naturally (as all model makers know!) viewing in natural light is going to get you the best matches. ;)

So.

Finally progress has been made (largely thanks to a forced isolation :roll: ) and the build is well underway.

The frame was rubbed back, primered and painted in the colour matches during December. I was fortunate enough to get a professional clear coat applied and baked on the last day of business by tagging onto another job in the paint booth.

I let this all settle over the Christmas break, and spent my time building the wheelsets for the Dynatech and Stumpjumper. The wheels for this are Araya RM20's on M732 XT hubs.

Parts such as the Vetta Lite saddle and the NOS M730XT seat post were sourced from the US via eBay.

Other parts such as the XT thumbies and M730XT Chainset were also sourced from eBay. The chainset needed a considerable amount of polishing to get them up to parr. Unfortunately, the Chainrings are knackered so i'll be on the hunt for a decent set of black chainrings from a DX/XT chain set - the ones that have the orange SG decal.

Another part of the build to source is a Rockshox Mag21 crown and steerer.
I've sourced myself a decent one but disappointingly when I went to fit it today, the actual measurement was 10mm shorter than the description :facepalm:
So, i'm on the hunt for a 1 1/8" 155mm crown and steerer. The gold legs of the Mag 21's looked ace on the trial fitting though.

I also need to contact Gil_M about getting the Odyssey decal for the top tube making up and the Reynolds decal for the fork legs. Fortunately - I've got the Endeavour for reference.

One decal that was preserved during the repaint was the holographic frame number and tubing identifier on the bottom of the seat tube. this was clear coated in the final coat to preserve it. I don't think anyone makes these…especially with your own serial number.

Here's some Progress pics.

More to come.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• dynatech build 4.jpg
    dynatech build 4.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 308
  • dynatech build 3.jpg
    dynatech build 3.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 307
  • dynatech build 2.jpg
    dynatech build 2.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 306
  • Dynatech build 1.jpg
    Dynatech build 1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 308
  • reynolds fork decal.jpg
    reynolds fork decal.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 305
  • dynatech frame and fork.jpg
    dynatech frame and fork.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 307
Re:

The bars, shifters, brake levers, and ODI grips now added. Now needs cabling up and sorting the niggles.

Ignore the wheels and Tyres. This wheel and Tyre combo is destined for the '89 Stumpjumper - just added to show what it looks like on amberalls.

The actual tyres are on the way - narrower Smoke Lite compe's will be better proportioned on this build. The Terra one tyre on the front leaves very little clearance, but they are great tyres - foldable and very easy to fit. Looking forward to fitting another pair of these on the Trek 8700.

Once the correct Crown/steerer is sorted for the Mag 21's - I'll add some more pics. They did look as good on this build as I thought they would though!

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• dynatech build 10.jpg
    dynatech build 10.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 297
  • dynatech build 9.jpg
    dynatech build 9.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 298
  • dynatech build 8.jpg
    dynatech build 8.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 299
  • dynatech build 7.jpg
    dynatech build 7.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 299
  • dynatech build 6.jpg
    dynatech build 6.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 298
  • dynatech build 5.jpg
    dynatech build 5.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 297
Magpiegifts":2zjhwjom said:
That endeavour looks next level... Nice...

The Campag kit looks just right

Cheers Magpiegifts.

Yeah, the Endeavour is nice…restoring that one gave me a good grounding for this one.
Although they are both Reynolds 2070 tube sets - the Endeavour has a few 'Custom Touches' over the Odyssey (and 2060 Voyager) - which would have accounted for the £1395 price tag.

As far as I know - my Endeavour is the only one known. There aren't any others here. A google search only brings up the thread for mine.

The Inspiration for this Odyssey is from that MBi review of the Endeavour.

I've moved the build on slightly today….

-The RM20's on M732 XT hubs are now shod with Panaracer Smoke Lite Compe's. The narrower size of tyre suits the frame much better.
- The brakes are now cabled up but I'm waiting for the gear cables to continue.
- NOS Shimano PD-M525 pedals fitted.

Still to do
- Get the Odyssey top tube decals made up. Also need the Reynolds decals for the fork legs.
- Source black SG 46/36/26 chainrings (with orange logo) to replace the knackered ones.
- A longer steerer and Crown for the Rockshox Mag 21's has been purchased. I've had to buy 4 to get the one I needed though! Once these arrive, the Mag 21's will be fitted.

Here's the latest pics.

….Then onto the Stumpjumper to get that ready for a repaint.

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• dynatech odyssey 220121-4.jpg
    dynatech odyssey 220121-4.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 252
  • dynatech odyssey 220121-3.jpg
    dynatech odyssey 220121-3.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 252
  • dynatech odyssey 220121-2.jpg
    dynatech odyssey 220121-2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 250
  • dynatech odyssey 220121-1.jpg
    dynatech odyssey 220121-1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 251
Beautiful - looks really nice man! I can just admire the work you put into it!

You’re right - a DuckDuckGo search brings up your Endeavour and that’s it.
I’ll have to trawl through all 250+ pages of the Dynatech information thread to see if there’s another - that will be my mission.

I wonder how many were built and sold? I’d have asked Stephen Perkins (bikemeister2000) who I’ve been in contact with in the past - I think I shall fire him off an email to ask. I also need to know how many Dynatech Decade were built and sold

Lovely work man

ibbz":3kc557wr said:
I’ll have to trawl through all 250+ pages of the Dynatech information thread to see if there’s another - that will be my mission.

I wonder how many were built and sold? I’d have asked Stephen Perkins (bikemeister2000) who I’ve been in contact with in the past - I think I shall fire him off an email to ask. I also need to know how many Dynatech Decade were built and sold

Lovely work man

Thanks ibbz.

That's a hell of a mission to go through all 250+ pages of the appreciation thread!

From what I've heard.....The Endeavour was £1395 new. There can't have been that many made- say in comparison to the Sentinel or Encounter. The only review I've found of the Endeavour was in MBi. Supposedly, after the 'unfavourable' review (suggesting to go for the Odyssey with your own choice of suspension) the unsold Endeavours were recalled. Stripped of their Campagnolo, they were repainted in the team colours and re- specced with Suntour XC pro. They were then sold as the 2070 team edition.
If you look at radian73's Dynatech 2070 - you can see the same 'custom' details over the Odyssey & Voyager 2070 models. I can take some detail pics to show comparison if you like.
The Dynatech Decade was produced in equally small numbers, but someone like bikemeister2000 will ultimately know ;)

Here was some more of my Endeavour research.

Nearest I've seen as another Endeavour here....
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=336920

But it actually turned out as......
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=400202

....and full circle.
development_cycle mentions at the end of that post that he has an Odyssey for sale.
Here's that Odyssey :cool:

Good luck. :D

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

boy"O"boy":2mv7rsah said:
ibbz":2mv7rsah said:

Lovely work man

Thanks ibbz.

That's a hell of a mission to go through all 250+ pages of the appreciation thread!

From what I've heard.....The Endeavour was £1395 new. There can't have been that many made- say in comparison to the Sentinel or Encounter. The only review I've found of the Endeavour was in MBi. Supposedly, after the 'unfavourable' review (suggesting to go for the Odyssey with your own choice of suspension) the unsold Endeavours were recalled. Stripped of their Campagnolo, they were repainted in the team colours and re- specced with Suntour XC pro. They were then sold as the 2070 team edition.
If you look at radian73's Dynatech 2070 - you can see the same 'custom' details over the Odyssey & Voyager 2070 models. I can take some detail pics to show comparison if you like.
The Dynatech Decade was produced in equally small numbers, but someone like bikemeister2000 will ultimately know ;)

....and full circle.
development_cycle mentions at the end of that post that he has an Odyssey for sale.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Right I’ll get down to it - if I do find another you owe me a drink! ;) :LOL:

ibbz":1miq3qnl said:
boy"O"boy":1miq3qnl said:
ibbz":1miq3qnl said:

Lovely work man

Thanks ibbz.

....and full circle.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Right I’ll get down to it - if I do find another you owe me a drink! ;) :LOL:

You're on! ;)
Haven't seen another Dynatech Endeavour in the whole 12+ years I've been here!

Here's some pics sourced from here and Google of the Dynatech Team 2070.
Have a look at the similarities between those and the Endeavour. There's also more than one example too!

Good luck!
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• 6EF1C7A4-3B1B-4E4B-9219-D2E8618FC355.jpeg.jpg
    6EF1C7A4-3B1B-4E4B-9219-D2E8618FC355.jpeg.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 229
  • 6F36A5AB-E403-4BAE-BF45-0D96606371BD.jpeg.jpg
    6F36A5AB-E403-4BAE-BF45-0D96606371BD.jpeg.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 227
  • IVZxzsK.jpg
    IVZxzsK.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 230
  • dynatech.jpg
    dynatech.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg-1.jpg
    image.jpeg-1.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 231
no holes for the panniers!
Of course - they’re the same frames! (Apart from the dyna curve) and I can’t notice any other differences between the encounter and endeavour frames apart from the pannier eyelets
I owe you a drink man! Right now I think I need one as after ages trawling through the Dynatech thread there’s no other Endeavour except yours! And all manner of retro bike search And searching google Bing Yahoo and DuckDuckGo - nothing - except for your one!
And have emailed Steve, let’s see if he replies!

Back