boy"O"boy's 1991 Raleigh Dynatech Endeavour x2!!

Re:

Nice job :D
Just read the whole thread... you mention not being able to find a decent paint stripper. i can recommend Langlows strip away pro. works like the old school stuff i.e it actually removes paint unlike modern Nitromores and the like which are only suitable for water based paints. Another advantage of SAP is its thick consistency so it tends to cling to the surface. not cheap but my five litre tin has so far done 2 frames and a couple of wooden interior doors...still plenty left

Re:

Kona-Ian":26phqtx4 said:
Outstanding. :cool:
Looks sweet as...

Thanks Ian. Took some effort but got there in the end!

mk one":26phqtx4 said:
Very nice as usual. That paintwork really stands out in the sun :cool:

Cheers Mark. Thank you.
The colour is an odd one.... It doesn't photograph that well, but when the sun is out, the colours really pop. Fortunately, the frame was in very good condition Barr the chainstay and bubbling on the head tube and wishbone so I was able to colour match directly rather that best guess from the magazine review.

Dossa":26phqtx4 said:
Beautiful build Ben - a real stunner! :cool:

Cheers Matty.
Currently lined up next to the 704XT in the man cave at the moment.
My wife has questioned why 3 of my builds are slightly 'girly' coloured! (As she puts it!)
She's got her eye on the '89 Kili at the moment!

Cheshire1980":26phqtx4 said:
Super clean build that. Love the array of colours in the sun. And the Campagnolo kit looks sublime. Top build, but then I new it would be with you!

Cheers Calum
All that Campagnolo.... And NOS at that far outweighed the original purchase cost of the bike. But that original brochure pic with the flexstem was a prime motivator. In my whole time on retrobike, I've never seen another. Rumour has it that after the unfavourable review in MBi (1st page) that all the unsold Endeavours were recalled, stripped of their Campagnolo and repainted as 'team' bikes with Suntour spec.
I'd love more info on this, as this would make my Endeavour a rare 'survivor' that made it out at full retail ....£1395!!! :shock:

retrobikeguy":26phqtx4 said:
That is really pretty :cool:

really reminds me of flicking through MBUK and stopping at that advert back in the day, I always wondered why they didnt colour code the flexstem but now I can see ..... it didnt need to be, its meant to stand out.

hat off to ya fella

RBG

Thank you.
Must admit, the other Ad that stood out from those early MBUK's and MBi's was the Serrotta Proflex (that's in your collection :cool: )
Funny how we remember single bikes from those ads and are drawn back to them after all these years.....even if we never owned them BITD, just sold on the images ( or how we would make them better )
The other's for me are the 1991 Diamond Back Axis Team and the Trek 8900 from the same year......oh, and the 1990 Marin pine mountain....and the..... ;)

brocklanders023":26phqtx4 said:
Superb standard as usual Ben, top work. :cool:

Thanks Ed. Unicorn to come...... Then I'm getting twitching about no builds/projects planned :shock:

enc":26phqtx4 said:
Nice job :D
Just read the whole thread... you mention not being able to find a decent paint stripper. i can recommend Langlows strip away pro. works like the old school stuff i.e it actually removes paint unlike modern Nitromores and the like which are only suitable for water based paints. Another advantage of SAP is its thick consistency so it tends to cling to the surface. not cheap but my five litre tin has so far done 2 frames and a couple of wooden interior doors...still plenty left

Cheers enc.... Appreciated.
Yeah, it's not the first time I've been disappointed about the ineffectiveness of modern Nitromors. A heat gun and scraper normally removes most paint down to the metal with plenty of patience, but obviously I had to be extra careful with heat on the bonding of this one.
One of the car guys at work asked why did I not use the product you mention..... Helpfully after I'd finished stripping it. Thanks for the further endorsement, I'll definately be looking into that product next time!

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Anyone with more 'Endeavour Specific' info, please feel free to add to the thread.

boy"O"boy

Re:

Hi all.

The smallest of all the smallest updates.

Correct Campagnolo crank caps now in place......

Matching Jersey to go with the bike too. The test pics feature the yellow 'team' Jersey with the 'SAAB' logo...... I've got the same Period Saab so would love one of these Jerseys, but also remember this one from around the same time.... So when I saw it, I thought it would make a great finishing touch.

Unless I score the Campagnolo Electa saddle or get really bored and decide to source the correct Campagnolo THORR rims and rebuild them, I think my work here is done. :cool:

As always.... If anyone knows anymore about the Endeavour Dynatech in particular, feel free to add it here.

Cheers all.

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 564
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 563
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 545
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 544
Can’t believe I’ve missed this build... :facepalm:
Got to look up more from my own stuff...

Excellent work on the frame restoration.... should have guessed you were also a model maker.
We have the best all round set of skills...(IMO) ;)

I can’t believe I missed this
Truly admirable work gone into this - I’ve not seen any of these on the forum and never in real
Life - and campag equipped too - something so classy about it - thanks for this .
Beautiful bike and the colour is sublime - surely one of the nicest mountain bikes Raleigh has ever made.

Just had a good read and look at this again. Beautiful work!
For anyone just tuning in - this bike is Unique - Only TWO in known existance and it's been brought to perfect catalogue life by Boy 'O' Boy.

I really enjoyed reading this build thread, what an incredible end result!

Do you know which steel was used in the main tubes and rear triangle of the Endeavour?

ibbz":138t0ctg said:
Just had a good read and look at this again. Beautiful work!
For anyone just tuning in - this bike is Unique :LOL: - Only TWO in known existance and it's been brought to perfect catalogue life by Boy 'O' Boy.

Just noticed you've edited this Ibbz!! :LOL:

It's great to see another Endeavour has finally surfaced! Anyone else got one out there that is so far unknown/ unseen?

With KondratievsBike's blessing, here's the pics from his F/S added here for prosperity.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=424317&start=10

Also….with it's Odyssey sibling.

Cheers all.
Enjoy

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Dynatech odyssey and endeavour 3.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey and endeavour 3.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Dynatech odyssey and endeavour1.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey and endeavour1.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 130