boy"O"boy's 1991 Orange Aluminum "O" #2

As promised....in true 2nd series drama, the path to completion has more twists and turns than the 1st episode!

Once the Manitou 1 rebuild was completed, the next step was to shorten the steerer tube to the correct length. As this was a long one,I put it out there if anyone wanted to swap for shorter...
With no takers, the next step was to add more threads then cut this one down.
Easier said than done though!

1 - Ask at LBS if they can cut an 1 1/4" thread to extend the threads to cut down a long steerer. - no joy. Long redundant size. Got rid of that ages ago.

2. Find eBay had a vendor selling NOS 1 1/4" threading tool. Enquire if ad is the same as pictured with die and die holder included in price. Told 'Yes' ....only to receive just the die and not the holder 🙄. Offered refund but realise there are no other 1 1/4" dies for sale so after negotiation accept partial refund for mis- description and keep the die.

3. It'll fit my Cyclus 1 1/8" threading die right? - bugger. The 1 1/4" steerer tube won't fit through the bottom of the tool. 🙄

4. Find a used Park tool die holder FS. Purchase this purely to use the 1 1/4" threading die.

5. Just to add 1 1/2" of thread to the steerer has eventually cost me nearly double the cost of the fork!

6. At least I'm now covered for every steerer eventuality now! ....the full range is catered for 1" + 1 1/8" + 1 1/4" threading dies are now in the tool set!

20220224_180934.jpg
Bugger! 1 1/4" doesn't go through!

20220224_181014.jpg
Cyclus 1 1/8" tool and Pace crown

20220224_181129.jpg
Ended up with the complete size range!

More to come....

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
So.
After the hassle of getting the Manitou 1's threaded and shortened (at least I'm covered for all fork threading eventualities now!) - it's time to get building.

No Brakes on yet...(storm damage fence repairs have to take priority unfortunately) but here is where I'm at for the moment.

By no means the final build yet, but starting of with a stealth black and pewter theme.
I could go all black....but I quite like the way the Stronglight headset ties the Manitou's in.
The bars are Pace Rc130 in pewter.

As I had pretty much enough spares to build this 2nd one, the XC pro microdrive Chainset, Mavic 840 rear mech, and Shimano M732 XT band on front mech mirror the original #1.
Shifters and levers are the same too but I've got some XC pro ones I'd like to give a go....After I ridden this set up though.

I've got rider wheels for this, and I'll also play around with trying Amberwalls. Maybe a black chainset? - I traded my Cook Bros with Nic for the Endeavour #2 frame.. they would have been great on here! 🤦

Here's some pics.

20220226_093544.jpg

20220226_093601.jpg

20220226_093625.jpg

20220226_093609.jpg

20220226_093638.jpg

20220226_093700.jpg

Cheers
boy"O"boy

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Citrusy! 🍊

Geez I like where this is headed 🤩
Cheers HuskyDB! - more to come soon!

That Mavic mech is off-the-charts cool! :cool:
Thanks velofrog. The 840 is meant to be a short cage road version....the off-road rear mechs have the iconic yellow sticker with the same graphic as Mavic rims. My original black "O" had one specced from day one...at the time I didn't know it was a road mech, only that I saw it in the shop and wanted it!

I have to be honest I had a little search for Mavic rears after reading this 😂🤣🙄
Seem to remember that you were persuaded to purchase an Aluminium "O" using the same tactics Dave! 😀😂🤟

Their 330 seat posts are lovely too.... ;)

View attachment 606975
Yeah. Agree. These Mavic posts are really nice.
Shame all the ones for sale are the bizarre sizes that don't fit many frames! - you could shim the smaller sizes but I'd prefer to find some 27.2mm in the condition above. Chances are slim though, especially in longer lengths.

Nice headset on eBay too…. 😎

Again....nice. Pricey but nice.
I think I'd prefer the black version of this if I was going to add one on this build. The stronglight X16 it's got on there is essentially the same thing as the Mavic 317.
I matched the seat clamp to the pewter colour of the Stronglight...and it goes well with the Pace RC130's.

Focusing on brakes for the moment. Awaiting some 'pewter coloured' titanium dome head bolts to mount the cantilevers....same contrast to black M734 XT's.

Pics soon.
Cheers.

boy"O"boy

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back