Bottom bracket with deep threads, Square taper or external

The Kilt

Old School Hero
I picked up a Mk1 Santa Cruz Chameleon local to me for rather cheap as the BB was stuck in and he couldn’t get it out. So after some soaking with spray lube and vinegar, some heat around the BB, I manged to get it out.

I immediately saw the problem, it seems he or a previous owner had glued the bottom bracket in with some sort of weldite product, as the threads did not seem too great. I am going to pop down by LBS and get them to re-tap the thread to clean it all up, but I was wondering if there are any bottom brackets, either square taper or external hollowtec, with deep threads? I know some headsets come in extra deep (FSA and Chris King spring to mind) but I haven’t really seen anything for bottom brackets.
I knew this could be a problem, but for £25 it was a bargain!

I picked up a Mk1 Santa Cruz Chameleon local to me for rather cheap as the BB was stuck in and he couldn’t get it out. So after some soaking with spray lube and vinegar, some heat around the BB, I manged to get it out.

I immediately saw the problem, it seems he or a previous owner had glued the bottom bracket in with some sort of weldite product, as the threads did not seem too great. I am going to pop down by LBS and get them to re-tap the thread to clean it all up, but I was wondering if there are any bottom brackets, either square taper or external hollowtec, with deep threads? I know some headsets come in extra deep (FSA and Chris King spring to mind) but I haven’t really seen anything for bottom brackets.
I knew this could be a problem, but for £25 it was a bargain!
Was it the mango coloured one on eBay? I saw and missed the bidding on that. Glad someone on here picked it up though 🤘

Royce always seem to have deep threads to me. If it's the RHS, I would worry less about using a Shimano UN72 or similar as they have a nice shoulder to stop movement.

Alternatively look for a BB designed specifically for damaged threads.

mavic also made a nice one. You need to have the BB shell faced correctly to suit it. Just search ‘damaged threads bottom bracket’ for loads of options

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Fun times! Speaking of botched installs... had a FSR go through the garage with the Chris King headset JB Welded in. Took me a minute to figure out why it wasn't coming out.

Good news, the LBS re-did the thread and faced the BB, and the bottom bracket goes in there fine (Square taper) and seems to be holding pretty good. Will buidl it up and ride a few days and re-check to make sure everything is OK. If not i will go for one of the threadless BBs. Cheers all.

Back