Bottom bracket area creaks.

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Noticed a creak coming distinctly from the bottom bracket yesterday,I could literally feel the creak on the crank arm.So I did the usual process of elimination,change the pedals-Still creaked,retorqued the cranks-still creaked,took off the chainset and all of the chainrings clean the tabs and retorqued-nope,took out the(newish) bottom bracket,cleaned,regreased and plenty of copper grease on the threads-nope still creaked.Hmm looks like worn crank tapers then,dammit.On the off chance I`ll check the rear skewer for tightness,seemed fine but give it a small fraction of a turn nonetheless and suddenly-creak is gone.Remember Occam`s bloody razor lads.... :roll:

Re:

It might sound a bit obvious, but have you checked for frame cracks in that area ?... or maybe one of your ankles ;)

My Litespeed does that -a tiny bit of contamination in the rear dropout and it will creak. Release the wheel, wipe the dropout with a thumb and no more creaking.

Yes, i had the same on a principia, pretty much dismantled and rebuilt the bike over the space of a week chasing a creak.

Rear hanger, factory fitted, smothered in threadlock, was the culprit, only noticed as the creak got less noticeable once i adjusted the QR.

Nearly couldn't get the hanger off it was so well stuck on.

Back