Creaking HT2 bottom bracket, advice.

mattr":2i3cqmy5 said:
Rear quick release.
that sounds like a creaky bottom bracket.

Absolutely, chased a creak all round my Litespeed. it turned out to be a minute bit of corrosion on a dropout face from the rear hub. Wiped it clean, no further problems.

So my new bb arrived, fitted it today, took the bike for a spin, and to my horror it was still creaking! Arrrgghhh. Still convinced it was coming from that area. Went and removed pedals and tried another set, still creaking, replaced pedals.

After fitting them I applied the brakes and stood in the cranks, and there was a creaky/click. So I knew (as suspected) it was something being caused by my pedalling force.

Then I had a thought, I bought wheels for the bike several months ago, they had an alu free wheel, the cassette had dug in to the spines, I wondered if that could be the source (hadn't even given it a thought). Removed the cassette, and some of the sprockets had dug in to the freehub, gave the cassette a good clean, replaced the cassette. I then noticed I was using a spacer between the wheel and cassette, and although it all fit, the spacer wasn't needed. Took it out, reassembled, and the free wheel was firm, tested it.... silence when pedalling.

So all solved, it was definitely something that got worse (i.e. no noise originally), but in hindsight either not fitted right (no need for spacer), or the cassette biting into the soft alu freehub and not sitting true or creating metal dust/debris.

So all solved and now with a different coloured and unneeded bottom bracket. Lesson learnt.

;)

Re:

Creaking when pedalling is a nightmare...I have had the following over the years:

- BB
- Pedals
- Saddle
- Seatpost
- Chainring bolts
- Rear QR
- Freehub scoring

And finally the removable dropouts on my frame the most recent of the woes!

Doug

Re: Re:

wookiee":2d0qufj5 said:
- Freehub scoring

So does that explain my issue?

Its seems the sound it coming back :cry: it definitely went, but I can hear a similar noise, albeit more faint and can be tolerated for now.

Would steel freehub, steel cassette solve it (vs the current alu freehub vs steel cassette), or even a one piece design cassette that is all held in place rather than individual parts? Any thing I can put on the freehub to help prevent the noise (oil/grease something else?)

Most manufacturers recommend using cassettes with spiders rather than individual sprockets on aluminum freehubs.

mattrixdesign2":vx9gb0ty said:
wookiee":vx9gb0ty said:
- Freehub scoring

So does that explain my issue?

Its seems the sound it coming back :cry: it definitely went, but I can hear a similar noise, albeit more faint and can be tolerated for now.

Would steel freehub, steel cassette solve it (vs the current alu freehub vs steel cassette), or even a one piece design cassette that is all held in place rather than individual parts? Any thing I can put on the freehub to help prevent the noise (oil/grease something else?)

Here is what I have experienced...

I had a 10 speed shimano cassette on a Bonty freehub. The freehub was aluminium. It worked slightly loose over time and I didn't notice but then was hearing a metallic grindy kinda sound. Worked through the the list of possible parts and it was when I took off the cassette that I notice scoring all the way up the free hub outer. I got a new freehub and the sound completely disappeared.

Then again I have just got a new (2nd hand) set of wheels and there was just slight scoring in 2 places (can only assume that that was where the cogs were in a spider together) on this freehub also! I greased it up before fitting the cassette and after a few miles of "settling in" sounds in 2 gears, that has gone. It was just minor marks and the cassette has obviously bedded in. The scoring on the Bonty hub was all the way up and the sound was happening in all gears.

Hope this might help a bit?

Doug

mattrixdesign2":1q8x5h5j said:
Yes. Should a free hub be greased? I thought they should be dry?

I have always put a bit but not much so that the grit/grime doesn't stick in there and cause any wear. But I guess thats a matter for debate no doubt!

Back