BoTM BotM October 2021 nominations thread

Bike of The Month
Loving this, not sure if i have ever seen a Ti version :cool:

I would have to run the cable through the stem though even if going through the arch also.
Yeah, I didn't know they made a Ti version either.
I guess that solves the cracking headtube problem the aluminum ones had.
I'd love to own that beast!

Mortonm's 1996 Kona Hei Hei King Kahuna

1996 was the first model year for the King Kahuna in response to professional riders feeling the standard Hei Hei was not rigid enough.

To combat this Kona employed a 6-4 Ti rear end. 6-4 Ti is fearfully expensive and equally as hard to work with. Though this design achieved their goals, moving forward they would replace the exotic rear end with head tube gussets and ovalised tubing.

There were only approximately 100 made in this configuration in all sizes.

M950 XTR components throughout with a Marzocchi Z2 "atom bomb" fork. Titec Ti handlebar, Syncros seatpost, Controltech stem, titanium flite saddle and race face cranks.

20211008_094630.jpg 20211008_094704.jpg

1996 was the first model year for the King Kahuna in response to professional riders feeling the standard Hei Hei was not rigid enough.

To combat this Kona employed a 6-4 Ti rear end. 6-4 Ti is fearfully expensive and equally as hard to work with. Though this design achieved their goals, moving forward they would replace the exotic rear end with head tube gussets and ovalised tubing.

M950 XTR components throughout with a Marzocchi Z2 "atom bomb" fork. Titec Ti handlebar, Syncros seatpost, Controltech stem, titanium flite saddle and race face cranks.

View attachment 577212View attachment 577213
Stunning

Ah, sod it.

Just so I can finally put the last nail in the "first build" coffin, here's mine...

pw_pw_la's FSX/JMC-inspired 1994 Specialized S-Works M2

View attachment 574785

View attachment 574786

Dirty, loved and well-used already!

Ridiculous, overly long build thread here: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...ized-s-works-m2-finished-pics-page-16.426559/

Skip directly HERE (and the following page) for more pics of the finished beast.

And now no one ever has to look at, or hear about it ever again!
Such a stunner - the Red really ‘pops’ and the contrast between the colours and the desert really make it stand out even
More

View attachment 577212View attachment 577213
it's great until you see a flite reissue . Selle Italia should stop making these things

Thanks @ibbz!

Yeah, the climate and topography out here make it easy to photograph a bike!

Back home it'd just be another boring Spesh left out in the rain! ;)

Just to make up the numbers (as not much love for Italian 🇮🇹 MTB's)
Probably the rarest bike I've come across - if anyone can find me a fillet brazed Columbus Genius MTB I'll give you 50p - if you can find another Venturi MTB I'll give you an extra 20p 😉)

Ibbz Venturi Koue "Genius".
Year unknown - but I guess from 1991 - 1993.

I think in ‘93 we had the majority of competition race bikes with front suspension and Columbus Genius was released in 1991. It seems to be from that sweet spot retro era.

This was raced by one R. Sorci - if anyone knows who he is/was please let me know!
Build Thread

DSC01266.jpg

DSC01317.jpg

Last edited:
Just to make up the numbers (as not much love for Italian MTB's)
Probably the rarest bike I've come across - if anyone can find me a fillet brazed Columbus Genius MTB I'll give you 50p - if you can find another Venturi MTB I'll give you an extra 20p)

Ibbz Venturi Koue "Genius". Year unknown - but I guess from 1992 - 1994.

Build Thread

View attachment 577452

View attachment 577453
You should win for the added challenge you have set.

And the bike should win for simply looking like an ex racers bike from the Mountain bike world cup bitd.

Nice to see something different too.

Back