Bontranger race light

Oldskool26er

Old School Hero
Is the 95-98 race light frames the frame Keith would have built if he had the resources....don't want bias anti trek responses just honest knowledgeable bontranger gurus

There's very little difference between the 92-94 bontrager and the later models.
Same gussets, same milled headtube, same removable brake bosses.

The main difference is the rear seat stays which changed to a one piece set up rather than a segmented one.

I believe that was spun at the time as an improvement due to Treks greater purchasing power, but it's more likely it was pushed as an efficieny measure.

The other change was the positioning of the front mech cable stop, but that was due to top pull mechs arriving, eliminating the need for a cable roller for those builders who wanted to use top tube cable routing.

I've seen no evidence the rubber tubeset changed, the race light was being promoted as being significantly lighter than the race right til the end.

Given the existence of various suspension and aluminium/steel prototypes, I think it's fair to say the racelite would have changed all a lot of it sorted stayed in production.

Maybe we would have seen a bontrager "cotic flaremax" steel full sus 20 years earlier!

Others with a closer connection to the brand ( I'm just a fanboi) may have a better view

Thanks for the reply, I am aware of the subtle changes you described but wanted to get others take on on if 95-98 version with the single tapered seat stays would have been what Keith envisioned. I have no problem with some of the so called early trek take over of brands such as Bontranger and Klein as the higher end builds were still built in there places of origin by Bontranger/Klein employees.

Thanks again for the reply....are all bontrager race lite frame measurements C/C unless otherwise noted?...is this your race lite?

Attachments

• img_9265-970x646.jpg
    img_9265-970x646.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 25
Is that a Race Lite?
I have a very similar looking Race OR - and the headset is 1" and I have a Tange Levin on it.

Yes, centre to centre. That looks like the same size as mine, and in my favourite film colour!

This is the size guide:

BontragerCyclesRaceandRacelitebicyclespecifications_zpsb0f5897e-1.jpg
This is what mine looks like now:

PXL_20220325_133100630.MP.jpg

Thanks for reply once again....you know know most frame if not all frame measurements no what the brand are C/C but sometimes when there are two measurments options for seat tube length it just makes me second guess myself...

Back