Vintage custom build. Arrow aremet.

H@l9000

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, I'm in the process of learning everything I can about a recently acquired vintage mountain bike and hoping the folks here might have some good info.... This one is apparently rare as hens teeth. Sorry for the bad photo. This is pre cleanup...

The bike is an early 90's Arrow racing Aermet 100 alloy frame and definitely a custom build. It appears to be original and all high dollar vintage components ( I don't recognize the logo on the cranks but I've owned just about everything else on other bikes)

What I know:
Aermet was a fad material that is super cool, but only lasted a couple years. It's a declassified lightweight ultra strong steel alloy ant the frames were reported to be as light as Ti but substantially stronger. They were rare and pricey when new.

The manufacturer is still around and I've spoken to the builder. He's researching the (two digit!) S/N to tell me more about the bike, but said it looks like an old race winning bike from the mid 90's since he did very few airbrushed paint schemes. I'm waiting for his response on the SN with baited breath!

Any information, pics, stories, ads, or references to the 1995 season NORBA race in Washington would be welcome additions to my knowledge of what I have here.

Thanks!

IMG_20230617_161912497.jpg IMG_20230617_161847565.jpg IMG_20230617_161758090.jpg IMG_20230617_161831922.jpg

I should have done a better job with the title.... "I'm looking for info on a custom built...."

Most of what needs to be replaced is just soft parts..... Any suggestions on where to find original or original -ish grips, vintage maxxis tires, etc?

Also, if anyone has a recent or not so example of one of these bikes or any other Aermet bikes being bought or sold id love to get a few days points on relative value.

That’s a great bike! I remember seeing one tested in MBA magazine back in the day. The front wheel QR is a Gravity Research one. Brake levers are REAL

Thanks... Yeah the components are top notch vintage. King headset, Judy xc air fork, real brakes (one side is missing the little gizmo that I think is for toggling the pull ratio), profile, mavic, icon, Selle, etc. It was a high dollar build when new.
Regarding ride quality. I haven't rolled out on it yet but the Aermet bikes are supposed to be stiffer than CrMo, but I think more compliant than Ti.... This one appears to have a n Aermet rear triangle as well so maybe stiffer than other Aermet bikes that had standard steel stays.

Profile thanks for the tip. Shows what I know. My first DH bike had profile bmx cranks. I ride with a light touch and could never figure out why anyone would need them....

Back