Bontrager Ti lite

A lovely Build.

And the chap above selling the saddle, should form a new thread for "trusted sellers". A nice fella, Quality in mind with retro tendencies, Always good gear, fair and transparent. 10/10

Sorry @sinnerman didn't see this, thanks for the comments, if that saddle is still available after Christmas then I'll have to invest I think, good to know that the seller is trustworthy. 👍
After thinking for a bit I decided to go with the Bontrager/DT wheels I already have, just fitted with black tyres, Fire XCs (fitted tubeless, shh! Joe's rim strips and Orange seal, went up with a mini pump = result!), also found a pretty good M950 GS rear mech for a sensible price and after at least a decade sat in a box, my Gore cables have finally found the right build! _20211210_111318.JPG

Been playing with this again, Judys back on, now with the correct Bontrager crown. Many thanks to @danson67 for swapping yet another steerer tube for me. Fitted a black headset. Changed the M900 cassette for an M950 to match the rest and save a few more grams. Thanks to @Standish for the Raceface Taperlock titanium bb. There is a full compliment of ti and alu bolts and after hovering over the buy button for days wondering if I should, I spent an obscene amount of money on the saddle mentioned above, it was, aside from the frame, the most expensive single part of the build but finishes it off nicely.
I'll probably swap the wheels around with the Hope/Mavic ceramics as and when the mood takes me, now I've sorted the play in the rear hub.
Other than that I think it's done. DSC_0287.JPG _20220212_091826.JPG _20220212_091917.JPG DSC_0292.JPG DSC_0293.JPG DSC_0294.JPG DSC_0295.JPG DSC_0296.JPG DSC_0297.JPG DSC_0298.JPG

Spec list:

Frame: Bontrager Ti-Lite medium

Fork: Rockshox Judy SL, Bontrager reduced offset crown, Steed springs, new seals/oil etc in the damper.

Headset: Tange Seiki/Cane Creek 1" alloy aheadset
Stem: Titec titanium, ti bolts 90mm x 0°
Handlebar: Titec Flat-tracker titanium 640mm x 11°
Grips: ODI Attack
Barends: n/a

Brakes: XTR M951 V-brake, Ti bolts
Brake Pads: XTR holders, Shimano ceramic inserts, Ti studs and nuts
Brake Cables: Shimano stainless
Cantilever cable hangers: n/a
Brake Levers: XTR m951

Shifters: XTR m951
Front Derailleur: XTR m952
Rear Derailleur: XTR m950
Derailleur Cables: Gore Ride On sealed
Cassette: XTR m950 12-32
Chain: HG-71
Cranks: Raceface Turbine LP forged 175mm 110/74mm bcd
Crank Bolts: Middleburn self extracting titanium
Chainrings: XTR m900 46/36/26/
Chainring bolts: I.D. Aluminium
Bottom Bracket: Raceface Taperlock Titanium 68/73 x 107mm
Pedals: Shimano Pd-m747

Hub Skewers: Halo hex bolt black
Rims: Bontrager Race Lite ceramic
Hubs: DT Swiss/Bontrager Race Lite 240
Nipples: DT aluminium
Spokes: DT Revolution 24 radial front/ 28 rear
Tyres: Continental Race King 'Bernstein' 2.2"
Tubes: Bontrager tubeless strip/Orange seal

Saddle: Selle San Marco/Bontrager titanium
Seatpost: Titec titanium, Ti bolt
Seatpost Binder: Alloy clamp, Ti bolt

Weight: 22lbs/10kg

Last edited:
@slackboy snowflakes are polarising, I'm afraid I'm in the no camp!
I'm sure it'll go into BOTM at some point, sods law says that'll be the month someone pulls out a NOS Cunningham Racer or suchlike though!

Ben this is absolutely perfect now!

Judy’s with the Bontrager crown and sans boots look absolutely brilliant.

I love bright yellow against Ti, and if I ever got a Ti frame myself would plan to go that route too.

I’m pretty sure the first ever Merlin, which was actually the first ever Ti Fat, had a yellow rigid fork on it, and I’ve always thought that was such a cool contrast.

The Ti Ibis I picked up for Martin/Second Spin also had a yellow Judy on it and I think it’s just an all around solid combo.

Oh, and as a man who loves to spend stupid money on bike stuff but especially saddles, I applaud your moment of madness/weakness!

Get this entered in the next suitable BOTM for sure!

But first, get it out on a ride, if you haven’t already!

Hi Ben,

Glad you got this built and ridden. More than I managed. I do agree that Privateers offer 95% of the experience for a fraction of the cost.

We’ll do e on finding the correct Titec Ti stem and seatpost. I’d have probably kept it if I’d got them too.

Regarding King/Bontrager Race Lite wheels, I have a set i rebuilt with new rims I was going to use on this if you are interested…

Matt

Thanks Matt 😁
Thankfully I had the Titec stuff already on my Privateer and out of some fluke the seatpost on that is 27.0mm rather than the more usual 26.8mm so it all fit together nicely.
I could well be interested in your wheels, I'll PM you. 👍

Back