Bontrager Race OR

They are definitely that! 👍
Went out on it yesterday and aside from the front brake issues (which I think I've solved), it's pretty much perfect, I have a few nice bikes but there's just 'something' about this one! _20210707_184123.JPG

You really do have one perfect-looking bike there mate. How does it ride?

And I'm glad to hear you think you've solved the braking issue. Even if it has meant dipping into the savings again so you can put the M900s back on the Kona and ride off into the sunset with the 734s in their rightful place.

The more I look at it, the more Ultimates and some Tri-Aligns would look out of place anyway!

Thanks 👍 It rides, perhaps unsurprisingly, very similarly to the Privateer, which was my favourite riding bike beforehand, they have that steel thing that seems to absorb chatter really well whilst still surging forward when you start pushing it. Also helps that it fits perfectly, which again I already knew from the Privateer. I shall try the Mag 21 but I think it'll live mostly with the Bonty fork attached. I agree on the brakes, the Privateer has blingier kit, but I don't think this needs anything more than XT level kit, It just suits it well I think.

Last edited:
Made a few changes, XT brake calipers have got rid of the awful juddering, fitted a Bonty saddle and switched to a threaded steerer set up. I had everything lurking about and it seems more in keeping with the bike. DSC_1264.JPG DSC_1265.JPG DSC_1266.JPG DSC_1268.JPG DSC_1269.JPG

Frame: Bontrager Race OR medium

Fork: Bontrager Composite

Headset: Chris King 2 nut
Stem: Salsa Moto quill
Handlebar: Titec Bontrager 2014 140g
Grips: ODI Attack
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Shimano XT M734
Brake Pads: Aztec
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Dia-compe
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT M095

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT M095
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M735 short cage
Derailleur Cables: BBB ultraslick
Cassette: Shimano HG-70 7 speed 12-28
Chain: Shimano HG-71
Cranks: Shimano Deore XT M730
Crank Bolts: Steel
Chainrings: Shimano SG-X 46/36/26
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-71 68x122.5mm
Pedals: Shimano M525 SPD

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore XT M730
Rims: Mavic M231 32h
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT M730/732 32h
Nipples: Wheelsmith Brass
Spokes: Wheelsmith
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke/Dart Classic 2.1"
Tubes: Bontrager

Saddle: Selle San Marco Bontrager Cromo rails
Seatpost: Shimano Deore XT M730
Seatpost Binder: Allen bolt aluminium clamp

Weight: 24lb 15oz

Last edited:
Fitted a higher rise Salsa stem, it was OK with the previous zero rise stem but I think this might be better. Swapped the brake levers from SS7s to PC-11s, not sure if they do much for the power or not, but they do feel nicer. Also bought an XT headset to fit, unfortunately the steerer is about 4mm too short for it to work 🙁 DSC_1338.JPG DSC_1339.JPG DSC_1340.JPG DSC_1341.JPG DSC_1343.JPG

Last edited:
Was that the Salsa stem on eBay recently? I believe sold by a member on here?

If so, good score!

I know a couple of people who were watching that auction keenly.

Bike's looking great. Shame about that XT headset tho.

@pw_pw_la Thanks. 👍😁
Yes, the stem came from ebay last week. It's a nice bit of kit! The headset was a bit disappointing, if for no other reason than it took fitting it to find out it wouldn't work! 😁 I'm convinced I have a longer steerer somewhere, can I bloody find it! 🤔😂

Thought it looked familiar!

If you ever decide to move it on, I have a buyer for you, so just let me know!

Looks great where it is tho.

Back