BOB JACKSON Vintage Frame Identification

By the way, when I was a lad I joined CC Sheffield, a small club with a little sponsership from The Big Brown Sports Shop [Sheffield].
It had some very good riders and me ! A school mate was in the club & got me in. In the photo of me I have the cap but had not yet
got my club shirt.
Thanks Charles

jcfotos said:
By the way, when I was a lad I joined CC Sheffield, a small club with a little sponsership from The Big Brown Sports Shop [Sheffield].
It had some very good riders and me ! A school mate was in the club & got me in. In the photo of me I have the cap but had not yet
got my club shirt.
Thanks Charles[/quote

I saw 'Big Brown' on your cap and wondered what it was! Strange name for a sports shop though.

Here are 3 more images I've found of my BJ.
But it has not got the extended lugs [Bugger]
Thanks again Charles

Attachments

• IMG_4280 LR.jpg
    IMG_4280 LR.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_4281 LR.jpg
    IMG_4281 LR.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_4277 LR.jpg
    IMG_4277 LR.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 453
Hi John WR, After soaking the seatpost for 2 weeks in GT85, I got 2 - 4.6 foot lenghts of 2" x 2" timber & marked round the shape of the
top of the seatpost & carved it out. I then used G Clamps to hold the wood together. My wife reluctantly stood on the wood at
one end & me at the other & after a bit of jiggleing the frame turned. I then turned the frame round while pulling upward, 30 mins
later ITS OUT !!!! The seat post now looks like it has a light screw thread on it, so more work needed !!!
I will have to wait for the end of lockdown to sort out a respray !

Thanks again for your great photos of you bike, did it have a frame number on it !
Charles

Thanks again for your great photos of you bike, did it have a frame number on it !
Charles[/quote]

Hi again Charles.

Well done on removing the seat pin.

I cannot see an obvious frame number in the common places like bottom bracket or dropouts. It must have one somewhere as the first time I showed it to Jacksons in about 1996 they found a number and from their records were able to identify the model and build year.

John.

jcfotos":2xzj7nqp said:
It will be like mine on the inside of the fork, do you ride it much !!!

Charles

Unfortunately I'm not able to ride due to needing 2 x hip replacements and atrial fibrillation, but 1 hip surgery next week, so some positive news. I do have many happy memories of riding this bike on the pave of northern France, the Alps, Pyrenees and Mont Ventoux. My last major sportive on it was a very wet L'Eroica in 2015 as photograph. I soon had it cleaned and no lasting damage to bike or rider.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0314-1.jpg
    IMG_0314-1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 422
Great memories, hope all goes well next week.
I visited the L'Eroica as a spectator in 2016 & 2018 but have not been tempted to ride
since two sets of knee surgery 10 years ago & the loss of my inner quad muscle, making hills on a vintage
bike very hard !
But I do ride twice a week on my mountain bike or at the moment on an, can I say it E-bike !!!
Stay Safe Charles.
PS: Them socks need washing !!!!

Don't let atrial fibrillation hold you back. Mine was detected over 20 years ago while I was in hospital recovering from a nasty RTA. My doctor advised me to keep riding but not go out if my heart rate was high enough to make me breathless. It's only advancing years and lip service to restrictions imposed by my other half in the name of 'safety' because I usually ride solo that mean my rides rarely exceed 50-60 miles.

Back