BLO removal?

dirtydog

Old School Hero
Effective way to remove solidified boiled linseed oil from a frame, anybody found a safe effective method? I've tried GT85 and petrol, both ineffective! Tried a hairdryer and scraped with my finger nails, I'm fed up now! :roll:

Re:

Never tried it but I've heard that acetone can help remove BLO. Might be worth researching further.

Turpentine. Is how its removed from timber, and I believe restorers use pure turpentine to remove from delicate surfaces.

If you are working with it, go slow, dont soak a rag and slap it on, you'll [possibly get the best results working a small area, then turning the rag to a fresh clean bit and working some more
May affect thew paint finish on the frame, so test an underside bit.

You could also try boiling water, but be careful not to scald yourself.

GT85 is more a lubricant than a cleaning solution. Its more akin to WD-40.

Re:

Turps should remove it but the older/harder/thicker it is the longer it will take take. Might need soaking a while. Is it internal or external? Is abrasion/agitation possible?
If you didn't apply it are you sure it's not Shellac? In which case you need to soak with Meths.

It's something I applied myself internally to a '92 Corrado, so it's definitely BLO. It's basically ran out of the various holes when it's been drying. I'll try some turps, although I'll give the acetone a miss, scared that might be a little harsh. Thanks for the response, folks!

It needs to be genuine Turpentine not white spirit (Turpentine substitute). If you get stuck finding it, flooring stockists often have it for removing linseed oil from terracotta tiles.

hamster":s4m5pxyd said:
It needs to be genuine Turpentine not white spirit (Turpentine substitute). If you get stuck finding it, flooring stockists often have it for removing linseed oil from terracotta tiles.

Yeah I kinda thought that, thanks matey! ;)

Re:

White spirit & Turps substitute are two completely different things. Proper Turpentine is horrendously expensive.

Well, I can now testify that pure acetone also doesn't work at removing BLO! If you happen to BLO a steel frame, ensure you don't get any on the exterior! :facepalm:

Back